Form-based ontology editing

Pantelis Natsiavas
Dear protege team,

I am looking for an easy-to-implement solution for form-based ontology editing and I wonder which is the right path to follow.

I need to create instances of an ontology (lets call it ontology A) using forms (either web or desktop) and store them in a triple store (e.g. Virtuoso). I would like to hide as much details as possible regarding the ontological relationships between the entities defined in ontology A and provide a plain simple user interface for CRUD (Create-Retrieve-Update-Delete) operations based on the entity schema defined in ontology A.

I have found two possible solutions in the protege ecosystem:

It seems like it could be the solution I am looking for, but this seems like legacy. I have not found the portlet code in web protege github and I cannot find the configuration.xml file (as described in https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeLayoutConfig) in my fresh webprotege local installation. Am I missing something?

As described in the respective paper (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5540339/) this is a solution that has been implemented for a specific context. Therefore, adapting it to my context might be difficult. If it would be a generic tool, I suppose it would be deployed as part of the webprotege platform. Right?

Perhaps I miss something on the above, but I wonder if there is another solution (even out of the protege ecosystem) that could facilitate such a form-based ontology editing. Could you please provide some guidance?

Best,
Pantelis Natsiavas

Παντελής Νατσιάβας
Μηχανικός Λογισμικού, ΜΔΕ,
Συνεργαζόμενος Ερευνητής, Υποψήφιος Διδάκτορας
Ινστιτούτο Εφαρμοσμένων Βιοεπιστημών
Εθνικό Κέντρο Έρευνας & Τεχνολογικής Ανάπτυξης
6ο χλμ. Χαριλάου-Θέρμης, Θέρμη, Θεσσαλονίκη
Ταχ. Θυρίδα: 60361, 57001, Ελλάδα
Τηλ.: +30 2311257606, Skype: pantelis.natsiavas
Email: [hidden email]

Pantelis Natsiavas
Electrical and Computer Engineer, MEng, MSc
Research Associate, PhD candidate
Institute of Applied Biosciences
Centre for Research & Technology Hellas
6th Km. Charilaou-Thermi Road, Thermi, Thessaloniki
P.O. Box 60361, GR 57001, Greece
Tel.: +30 2311257606, Skype: pantelis.natsiavas
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Form-based ontology editing

samsontu
Hi,

I can confirm that
  (1) the PropertyFormPortlet was implemented for WebProtege 1.0 and not available in the current version of WebProtege
  (2) Facsimile was an experiment designed to satisfy a very specific purpose: acquiring data through assessment forms and linking the data to ontology.
Neither approach fits your requirements.

The problem is that an OWL ontology is a collection of axioms. By itself it doesn’t provides structural constraints for acquiring data.

SHACL, a relatively W3C standard, is designed to constrain shapes of RDF data. It has a small section on how it may support form-building [1], but I don’t know of any implementation that makes use of it.

Sorry that I don’t know of any available solution.

With best regards,
Samson

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/  Section 2.3.2 Non-Validating Property Shape Characteristics

On Oct 23, 2018, at 5:51 PM, Pantelis Natsiavas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mark Fox
Hi Pantelis,

You may find the attached paper relevant (Fox, M., and Katsumi, M., (2016), “An Ontology for Surveys”, Proceedings of the Association for. Survey Computing, Vol. 7).  It specifies an ontology for defining survey questionnaires and the translation of responses into a target ontology.

- Mark

Mark S. Fox, PhD FAAAI FEIC LEL Connaught Scholar

Associate Director (Research), School of Cities (schoolofcities.com)
Distinguished Professor of Urban Systems Engineering
Professor of Industrial Engineering and Computer Science
Director, Centre for Social Services Engineering (csse.utoronto.ca)
Head, Enterprise Integration Laboratory (eil.utoronto.ca)

University of Toronto
8114-40 St. George St.
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2E4 Canada

Tel: +1-416-414-9288; [hidden email]

Fox-ASC-paper-2016.pdf (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Form-based ontology editing

Pantelis Natsiavas
Thank you guys for the insights, I really appreciate it.

I will try to build the hello world example described in the (SPARQL->OData->Web forms) approach described in http://inova8.com/bg_inova8.com/really-rapid-rdf-graph-application-development/ and https://youtu.be/QFhcsS8Bx-U. I am just writing it down here in case it could help another colleague for a future reference.

Best,
Pantelis

Παντελής Νατσιάβας
Μηχανικός Λογισμικού, ΜΔΕ,
Συνεργαζόμενος Ερευνητής, Υποψήφιος Διδάκτορας
Ινστιτούτο Εφαρμοσμένων Βιοεπιστημών
Εθνικό Κέντρο Έρευνας & Τεχνολογικής Ανάπτυξης
6ο χλμ. Χαριλάου-Θέρμης, Θέρμη, Θεσσαλονίκη
Ταχ. Θυρίδα: 60361, 57001, Ελλάδα
Τηλ.: +30 2311257606, Skype: pantelis.natsiavas
Email: [hidden email]

Pantelis Natsiavas
Electrical and Computer Engineer, MEng, MSc
Research Associate, PhD candidate
Institute of Applied Biosciences
Centre for Research & Technology Hellas
6th Km. Charilaou-Thermi Road, Thermi, Thessaloniki
P.O. Box 60361, GR 57001, Greece
Tel.: +30 2311257606, Skype: pantelis.natsiavas
Email: [hidden email]

Στις Τρί, 23 Οκτ 2018 στις 1:10 μ.μ., ο/η Mark Fox <[hidden email]> έγραψε: