Fwd: Ontology Visualization with Domains and Ranges

Fwd: Ontology Visualization with Domains and Ranges

Oliver Ruebenacker

     Hello,

  I'm looking for a way to visualize ontologies while showing domains and ranges of properties, and property restrictions.

  For example, if a property p has domain A and range B, a graph where A and B are nodes and p is an edge from A to B would be useful.

  Do you know how this can be done in Protege? Thanks!

     Best,
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker
IT Project Lead at PanGenX (http://www.pangenx.com)

--
Oliver Ruebenacker
IT Project Lead at PanGenX (http://www.pangenx.com)
Be always grateful, but never satisfied.

Re: Fwd: Ontology Visualization with Domains and Ranges

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Oliver,

On 10/10/2013 11:47 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to visualize ontologies while showing domains
> and ranges of properties, and property restrictions.
>
> For example, if a property p has domain A and range B, a graph where A
> and B are nodes and p is an edge from A to B would be useful.

I'm wondering if you've looked at the OntoGraf visualization plug-in
(comes with the default installation of Protege)?

I've attached a screenshot of the example "pizza" ontology where the
hasBase property appears as an arc, and the domain and range (Pizza and
PizzaBase) are show as nodes.  There's a bit more documentation of this
plug-in on our wiki:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OntoGraf

Jennifer

ProtegeOntoGrafHasBase.png (157K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: Ontology Visualization with Domains and Ranges

Oliver Ruebenacker

     Hello,

  Ontograf does not work for me. Some googling suggests that it only works on Oracle's JVM, not on OpenJDK's JVM. Pity.

     Best,
     Oliver

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

A group at the University of Victoria developed an ontology visualization plug-in for the Protege 3 series called "Jambalaya" [1], which I believe could also produce what you're looking for (see attached screenshot).

I'm not sure if you'd want to download Protege 3.5 and/or if this plug-in would have the same issues with OpenJDK.  If you decided to give it a try, the plug-in can be enabled via Project | Configure... | Tab Widgets, then check the JambalayaTab checkbox.

Jennifer

[1] http://thechiselgroup.org/2004/07/06/jambalaya/

On 10/10/2013 3:44 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

[...]

ProtegeJambalaya.png (196K) Download Attachment