[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: mobileGUI]]

Nick Drummond
I got a resident expert to hopefully answer you questions:

ok, answers:

1) Yes, I use racer, but not on the phone itself.

2) There's no reason why you can't do dig queries from a 'phone:
they're essentially http calls. However, the libraries  you might use
for them (jena?) may be incompatible with the version of java on the
'phone...

2) The java version on a smart phone is usually J2ME CLDC/MIDP/CDC
[1] - the complete java environment is built up of `profiles' (e.g.
CLDC and MIDP and CDC) that each add some capabilities (e.g.
networking, GUI, etc). - though Ronnie might like to check what is in
their phone, it's useful to know what your coding against.

3) Another alternative might be to use the Nokia Python
implementation [2] if the dig calls can be built yourself (I like
using this...). There's a useful http library included with it.

4) GUIs are a bit of a problem; most mobiles don't support swing (as
its too resource intensive). You can write the GUI in AWT, which
isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. If you use Python, then
there are GUIs with that too but, again, they're not very advanced
(no dockable toolbars, etc.).

5) Reading Ronnies email, an applet is not the best way to go if you
want it to be run in a browser too - Microsoft aren't including java/
applet support in IE any more [3]. Aren't they called midlets [4] now
anyway?

If you have any more questions, fire away.

Michael.

[1] http://java.sun.com/products/cdc/
[2] http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-821,00.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midlet

--

Nick Drummond

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: mobileGUI]]

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot; your answer also proves that guys get help in this forum !

Referring to your answer, two more detailed questions to you & to your
friend:
1) is the race in server http://sw.nokia.com/ ?
2) are these dig queries based on new http method, see
http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html ?

cheers,
Ronnie

> I got a resident expert to hopefully answer you questions:
>
> ok, answers:
>
> 1) Yes, I use racer, but not on the phone itself.
>
> 2) There's no reason why you can't do dig queries from a 'phone:
> they're essentially http calls. However, the libraries  you might use
> for them (jena?) may be incompatible with the version of java on the
> 'phone...

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: mobileGUI]]

Nick Drummond
Sorry Ronnie,

I've no way of knowing this. We have nothing to do with nokia.
You could try contacting the person responsible - [hidden email]

Nick

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

>Hi Nick,
>
>Thanks a lot; your answer also proves that guys get help in this forum !
>
>Referring to your answer, two more detailed questions to you & to your
>friend:
>1) is the race in server http://sw.nokia.com/ ?
>2) are these dig queries based on new http method, see
>http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html ?
>
>cheers,
>Ronnie

Nick Drummond