Graph Widget

Ankur Jain-7

Is it possible to use the "multiple" optional
connector slot in the graph widget?

For example, in the tutorial given at:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/
consider the case when instead of property
"responsible_for" for Editor, we have two properties -
"completely_responsible_for" and
"partially_responsible_for".
Now if we want to create the link in the graph between
"Editor" and "Employee", then multiple optional
connector will give us the freedom to choose the
property before creating the link.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ankur Jain
Graduate Student
Purdue University

Re: Graph Widget

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator

Ankur,

Yes, it is possible to have multiple options for connectors between
nodes in the graph widget.  You can accomplish this using reified
relations, which are described in the tutorial you reference beginning
with Step 7:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/#configureRelations

The newspaper example that comes with the standard installation of
Protege is already configured with a set of reified relations that
allows you to choose between multiple connector types.  Perform the
following steps to with the newspaper project to see this behavior:

1).  Go to the Instances tab and select the Organization class.
2).  Create a new instance of the Organization class.
3).  Drag and drop one instance of the Director class and one instance
of the Manager class onto the canvas.
4).  Draw a connector between the Director node and the Manager node and
notice the dialog that appears that allows you to choose between two
different connector types.

Jennifer

Ankur Jain wrote:

>Is it possible to use the "multiple" optional
>connector slot in the graph widget?
>
>For example, in the tutorial given at:
>http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/
>consider the case when instead of property
>"responsible_for" for Editor, we have two properties -
>"completely_responsible_for" and
>"partially_responsible_for".
>Now if we want to create the link in the graph between
>"Editor" and "Employee", then multiple optional
>connector will give us the freedom to choose the
>property before creating the link.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ankur Jain
>Graduate Student
>Purdue University

Re: Graph Widget

Ankur Jain-7

Jennifer,

I tried reified relations to create the links between
two instances. However, the problem with using them is
that I can't use the "property" value of instance to
show the link and I have to duplicate the information
using reified relations. To make it clear, lets
consider the example I gave earlier:

1. The ontology have classes Editor and Employee; and
two properties for Editor "completely_responsible_for"
and "partially_responsible_for".

2. Now say x is an Editor and y and z are Employees.

3. Lets consider x is "completely_responsible_for" y
and x is "partialy_responsible_for" z.

4. Here one option to show the relations in the graph
widget is to use the actual properties in optional
connector slot in graph widget. Since the graph widget
doesn't allow multiple such properties, its not
possible.

5. If I use the refied relations to show the link then
I would be duplicating the information. As the same
piece of information is represented in ontology via
properties "completely_responsible_for" and
"partially_responsible_for" as well as binary
relations instances.

6. Now, if we make changes to property values, lets
say reverse the role of y and z making: x is
"completely_responsible_for" z and x is
"partialy_responsible_for" y, Then we have to go and
change the reified relations as well to update the
link, else there will be a inconsistency.

The solution I can think is, if we can have multiple
optional connector in graph widget, this will give us
the freedom to choose the property before creating the
link. It will avoid the use of reified relations,
which I guess give less semantics to information as
compared to direct properties.

Thanks,

Ankur Jain

--- Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ankur,
>
> Yes, it is possible to have multiple options for
> connectors between
> nodes in the graph widget.  You can accomplish this
> using reified
> relations, which are described in the tutorial you
> reference beginning
> with Step 7:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/#configureRelations

> The newspaper example that comes with the standard
> installation of
> Protege is already configured with a set of reified
> relations that
> allows you to choose between multiple connector
> types.  Perform the
> following steps to with the newspaper project to see
> this behavior:
>
> 1).  Go to the Instances tab and select the
> Organization class.
> 2).  Create a new instance of the Organization
> class.
> 3).  Drag and drop one instance of the Director
> class and one instance
> of the Manager class onto the canvas.
> 4).  Draw a connector between the Director node and
> the Manager node and
> notice the dialog that appears that allows you to
> choose between two
> different connector types.
>
> Jennifer
>
> Ankur Jain wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to use the "multiple" optional
> >connector slot in the graph widget?
> >
> >For example, in the tutorial given at:
>
>http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/
> >consider the case when instead of property
> >"responsible_for" for Editor, we have two
> properties -
> >"completely_responsible_for" and
> >"partially_responsible_for".
> >Now if we want to create the link in the graph
> between
> >"Editor" and "Employee", then multiple optional
> >connector will give us the freedom to choose the
> >property before creating the link.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ankur Jain
> >Graduate Student
> >Purdue University

> http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Re: Graph Widget

samsontu

Ankur,

What if you

(1) delete "completely_responsible_for" and "partialy_responsible_for"
as slots
(2) create "completely_responsible_for" and "partialy_responsible_for"
as subclasses of :DIRECT-BINARY-RELATION whose instances are links in
the graph widget.

You don't have duplicate information then.

Samson

--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/

Re: Graph Widget

Ankur Jain-7

Samson,

Yes, thats true. But the problem with this solution is
that the Editor class doesn't have the explicit
knowledge of the Employees it is
"completely_responsible_for" and
"partially_responsible_for".
Though one can look for this information via the
instances of subclasses of :DIRECT-BINARY-RELATION,
but that will be long search process.

For example if there are 10 Editors and 1000
Employees, then to find all the Employees a particular
Editor "x" is "partially_responsible_for", we have to
search through 1000s of instances of
"partialy_responsible_for"  subclass of
:DIRECT-BINARY-RELATION,  to match the ":FROM" to "x".

(Also, ":FROM" slot of :DIRECT-BINARY-RELATION doesn't
support inverse relation, which might be the one way
to get around this).

And with the use of slots in Editor class it is fairly
straight forward, but it limits the representation in
graph widget. Thats why I am wondering if there is a
way to show multiple slots in graph widget?

Thanks.

Ankur Jain

--- Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> >>2).  Create a new instance of the Organization
> >>class.
> >>3).  Drag and drop one instance of the Director
> >>class and one instance
> >>of the Manager class onto the canvas.
> >>4).  Draw a connector between the Director node
> and
> >>the Manager node and
> >>notice the dialog that appears that allows you to
> >>choose between two
> >>different connector types.
> >>
> >>Jennifer

>>http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/

> >>properties -

> >>between

> --
> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web:
> www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Ranjana Srivastava

Hi all,

I installed the 'prompt' tab in the plugins folder and then enabled it. Although I get the window with subtab and options but nothing happens when I try to do a extract or merge (i.e. when I click the "Click here to Begin" button).  I am using Protege3.1.1.
Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Ranjana

Ranjana Srivastava, Ph.D.
Kevric, An IMC Company
8484 Georgia Avenue, Suite 550
Silver Spring, MD 20910-5630

________________________________

> [...]

> >>2).  Create a new instance of the Organization
> >>class.
> >>3).  Drag and drop one instance of the Director
> >>class and one instance
> >>of the Manager class onto the canvas.
> >>4).  Draw a connector between the Director node
> and
> >>the Manager node and
> >>notice the dialog that appears that allows you to
> >>choose between two
> >>different connector types.
> >>
> >>Jennifer

>>http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/

> >>properties -

> >>between

> --
> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web:
> www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Yes, I know what you mean. I think a better solution is to recreate a
function similar to one that's available in a previous "diagram" widget:
when you create a link (instance of :DIRECT-BINARY-RELATION), the graph
widget (if configured to do so) automatically inserts a value in a slot
of the :from or :to object.

Samson

Ankur Jain wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Ankur Jain
>>>

>>>--- Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]>

>>this

> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/#configureRelations

>>reified

>>see

>>and

>>>http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/

>>--
>>Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
>>Senior Research Scientist    web:
>>www.stanford.edu/~swt/
>>Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
>>Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

>>http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: Prompt [WAS: Graph Widget]

Jennifer Vendetti

Ranjana,

1).  When posting on protege-discussion, please do not reply to an email
message that has a subject line that is unrelated to the topic you are
posting about.  It is better to create a new message.

2).  The Prompt Tab is working fine in Protege 3.1.1.  Can you be more
specific about what you mean when you say "nothing happens"?  Are you
seeing error messages in the console window?  Have you looked at any of
the documentation for using the Prompt tab that is available on our Web
site?

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/prompt/prompt.html

Jennifer

Ranjana Srivastava wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I installed the 'prompt' tab in the plugins folder and then enabled it. Although I get the window with subtab and options but nothing happens when I try to do a extract or merge (i.e. when I click the "Click here to Begin" button).  I am using Protege3.1.1.
>Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help?
>
>Ranjana

Re: Prompt [WAS: Graph Widget]

Ranjana Srivastava
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Prompt: When I tried to merge using Prompt, the initial screen looks like (see attached document).
Upon selecting the two ontologies to merge and then clicking the  "Click here to begin" button, I do not get the suggestions box and the page remains as such. the log file that is created, is of 0 KB. I guess I am missing on some step, though i am following the instructions from the website.

Ranjana

Ranjana Srivastava wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I installed the 'prompt' tab in the plugins folder and then enabled it. Although I get the window with subtab and options but nothing happens when I try to do a extract or merge (i.e. when I click the "Click here to Begin" button).  I am using Protege3.1.1.
>Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help?
>
>Ranjana

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 103k (106007 bytes)