Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Wei Xing
Hi, there,

Is there some way that I can output RDF/XML source code of classes and
instances in Protege separately?  More specific,  I have  created a owl
project first, in which I defined some classes; then I added some
individuals of those classes into.  When I click save (or the button
"show RDF/XML source code"), I always got one file which mixes the
desciption of classes and instances together. What I would like to have
is two files, one only has the RDF/XML description of the classes,
another is just about the instances.

I will  really  appreciate  if someone  can give me hints  on it.

Thanks,

Wei

Re: Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Massimo Coletti
Hi,

I usually create two projects: the first with the conceptual model
(classes), the second with instances. The second project includes the
first, in my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to define a
"relative folder" repository in the "instance" project, pointing at a
local folder where the "concepts" project is.

I don't think that there is a way to save two separate owl files from a
single protégé project.

Cheers,

Massimo Coletti

Wei Xing ha scritto:

> Hi, there,
>
> Is there some way that I can output RDF/XML source code of classes and
> instances in Protege separately?  More specific,  I have  created a
> owl project first, in which I defined some classes; then I added some
> individuals of those classes into.  When I click save (or the button
> "show RDF/XML source code"), I always got one file which mixes the
> desciption of classes and instances together. What I would like to
> have is two files, one only has the RDF/XML description of the
> classes, another is just about the instances.
>
> I will  really  appreciate  if someone  can give me hints  on it.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Wei

Re: Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Wei Xing
Hi, Massimo Coletti ,

Many thanks for your reply.

If the second project includes the first, that means we are back to the
start point.  In your email, you meintioned "pointing at a local folder
where the "concepts" projects is. ", can you specify how to "point at a
local folder" in the protege? Do you mean making a link?

Regards

Wei

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I usually create two projects: the first with the conceptual model
> (classes), the second with instances. The second project includes the
> first, in my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to define a
> "relative folder" repository in the "instance" project, pointing at a
> local folder where the "concepts" project is.
>
> I don't think that there is a way to save two separate owl files from
> a single protégé project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Massimo Coletti
>
> Wei Xing ha scritto:
>
>> Hi, there,
>>
>> Is there some way that I can output RDF/XML source code of classes
>> and instances in Protege separately?  More specific,  I have  created
>> a owl project first, in which I defined some classes; then I added
>> some individuals of those classes into.  When I click save (or the
>> button "show RDF/XML source code"), I always got one file which mixes
>> the desciption of classes and instances together. What I would like
>> to have is two files, one only has the RDF/XML description of the
>> classes, another is just about the instances.
>>
>> I will  really  appreciate  if someone  can give me hints  on it.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Wei

Wei Xing, M.Sc.
Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
PO Box 20537
CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

Re: Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Nick Drummond

I agree with Massimo.
There was a post a few days ago about splitting the ontology. Version
3.1.1 had an action in the OWL menu for doing this - for some reason it
has been disabled (and is on the list to investigate). If it is just a
one-off it might be worth trying the 3.1.1 method - let me know if you
have any problems with it - it seems to do what you'd expect.

Nick

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I usually create two projects: the first with the conceptual model
> (classes), the second with instances. The second project includes the
> first, in my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to define a
> "relative folder" repository in the "instance" project, pointing at a
> local folder where the "concepts" project is.
>
> I don't think that there is a way to save two separate owl files from
> a single protégé project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Massimo Coletti
>
> Wei Xing ha scritto:
>
>> Hi, there,
>>
>> Is there some way that I can output RDF/XML source code of classes
>> and instances in Protege separately?  More specific,  I have  created
>> a owl project first, in which I defined some classes; then I added
>> some individuals of those classes into.  When I click save (or the
>> button "show RDF/XML source code"), I always got one file which mixes
>> the desciption of classes and instances together. What I would like
>> to have is two files, one only has the RDF/XML description of the
>> classes, another is just about the instances.
>>
>> I will  really  appreciate  if someone  can give me hints  on it.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Wei

Nick Drummond

Re: Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Wei Xing
Hi, Nick,

Thanks. Will try V3.1.1.

BTW, for what kind of reasons, it is disabled after?

Regards

Wei

Nick Drummond wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with Massimo.
> There was a post a few days ago about splitting the ontology. Version
> 3.1.1 had an action in the OWL menu for doing this - for some reason
> it has been disabled (and is on the list to investigate). If it is
> just a one-off it might be worth trying the 3.1.1 method - let me know
> if you have any problems with it - it seems to do what you'd expect.
>
> Nick
>
> Massimo Coletti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I usually create two projects: the first with the conceptual model
>> (classes), the second with instances. The second project includes the
>> first, in my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to define a
>> "relative folder" repository in the "instance" project, pointing at a
>> local folder where the "concepts" project is.
>>
>> I don't think that there is a way to save two separate owl files from
>> a single protégé project.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Massimo Coletti
>>
>> Wei Xing ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi, there,
>>>
>>> Is there some way that I can output RDF/XML source code of classes
>>> and instances in Protege separately?  More specific,  I have
>>> created a owl project first, in which I defined some classes; then I
>>> added some individuals of those classes into.  When I click save (or
>>> the button "show RDF/XML source code"), I always got one file which
>>> mixes the desciption of classes and instances together. What I would
>>> like to have is two files, one only has the RDF/XML description of
>>> the classes, another is just about the instances.
>>>
>>> I will  really  appreciate  if someone  can give me hints  on it.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Wei

Wei Xing, M.Sc.
Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
PO Box 20537
CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

Re: Have class.owl and instance.owl separately for one protege owl project?

Nick Drummond
Wei,

I don't know why it was disabled - maybe it stopped working and was too
much work to put right at the time.

Nick

Wei Xing wrote:

> Hi, Nick,
>
> Thanks. Will try V3.1.1.
>
> BTW, for what kind of reasons, it is disabled after?
>
> Regards
>
> Wei
>
> Nick Drummond wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree with Massimo.
>> There was a post a few days ago about splitting the ontology. Version
>> 3.1.1 had an action in the OWL menu for doing this - for some reason
>> it has been disabled (and is on the list to investigate). If it is
>> just a one-off it might be worth trying the 3.1.1 method - let me
>> know if you have any problems with it - it seems to do what you'd
>> expect.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Massimo Coletti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I usually create two projects: the first with the conceptual model
>>> (classes), the second with instances. The second project includes
>>> the first, in my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to define a
>>> "relative folder" repository in the "instance" project, pointing at
>>> a local folder where the "concepts" project is.
>>>
>>> I don't think that there is a way to save two separate owl files
>>> from a single protégé project.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Massimo Coletti

Nick Drummond