How Do I Increase Java Memory for Protege in Windows?

How Do I Increase Java Memory for Protege in Windows?

Michael DeBellis-2
I asked this question earlier and never got an answer, I think because my question was buried in a longer thread. I'm getting errors in SQWRL and SPARQL that I think are because the memory allocated for Protege is not large enough.

I'm using version 5.5.0 and the defaults for a Windows 10 installation which according to the About window is:

Max memory set to 444 MB (via Java -Xmx setting)
Currently using 38 MB (with no ontology loaded)

I looked online but everything I found was fairly old and talked about editing the Potege.lax file via a tab in the Preferences window. That tab doesn't seem to be there anymore and since I don't know much about configuring Java before I start searching for and changing files I could use some guidance because I think if I do this incorrectly it might mess up my whole system. Specifically:

1) How do I allocate more memory for Protege? What file do I edit or do I have to do something else?

2) What is a good number to use that will be able to handle ontologies with thousands of individuals and SPARQL and SQWRL queries? Other things being equal I would rather give myself more memory than I need rather than be conservative and risk getting out of memory errors again.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Re: How Do I Increase Java Memory for Protege in Windows?

Hi Michael,

You should be able to add a line to the Protege.l4j.ini file and it should be picked up by the .exe.  You’ll want to add something like (adjust for your memory requirements)

-Xmx2000M

for 2000 Megs of memory.

You could give it a percentage of your system memory (you’d need to calculate this).  Remember, this is the max memory, so it won’t gobble it up unless it’s needed.

> On Jul 20, 2019, at 09:50, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I asked this question earlier and never got an answer, I think because my question was buried in a longer thread. I'm getting errors in SQWRL and SPARQL that I think are because the memory allocated for Protege is not large enough.
>
> I'm using version 5.5.0 and the defaults for a Windows 10 installation which according to the About window is:
>
> Max memory set to 444 MB (via Java -Xmx setting)
> Currently using 38 MB (with no ontology loaded)
>
> I looked online but everything I found was fairly old and talked about editing the Potege.lax file via a tab in the Preferences window. That tab doesn't seem to be there anymore and since I don't know much about configuring Java before I start searching for and changing files I could use some guidance because I think if I do this incorrectly it might mess up my whole system. Specifically:
>
> 1) How do I allocate more memory for Protege? What file do I edit or do I have to do something else?
>
> 2) What is a good number to use that will be able to handle ontologies with thousands of individuals and SPARQL and SQWRL queries? Other things being equal I would rather give myself more memory than I need rather than be conservative and risk getting out of memory errors again.
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance,
> Michael

Re: How Do I Increase Java Memory for Protege in Windows?

Michael DeBellis-2
Matthew, Thanks, that worked and I think that fixed the problem, at least now I can load the SPARQL tab on the large ontology without getting an error. FYI, after I edited that file the icon on my desktop for Protege stopped working and I had to launch it by clicking on the run.bat file. Thanks for the help.