How To Publish an Ontology

Adel
Dear All Freind please, need help and very urgent ... I want to publish my ontology an online so I do not have any information. please help me and I want it from scratch... ASAP Sincerely Adel

Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Michael DeBellis-2
Adel, If all you want is to provide a way for the general public to see your ontology you can upload it to Web Protege, then click on the Share link and set the ontology so that anyone can view or comment on it. Then give them the link to the ontology. Of course they will still need to create Web Protege accounts. BTW, if you do that I recommend that rather than uploading the OWL file you first load it into the Desktop version and then run the reasoner and then use the "File>Export inferred axioms as ontology" option and then upload that export OWL file into Web Protege. Since at the current time Web Protege doesn't support reasoners doing it that way lets your users see all the inferences from DL axioms and SWRL rules.

Michael

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 5:47 AM, Adel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All Freind please, need help and very urgent ... I want to publish my ontology an online so I do not have any information. please help me and I want it from scratch... ASAP Sincerely Adel

Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Chris Mungall-2

Another approach is to use GitHub for management and release. This is more work and is not suited to everyone, but has some advantages.

Within the Open Bio-Ontologies world, we have a toolkit for generating an initial GitHub repository with standard workflows for adding inferred axioms, CI checking and ontology publishing in place.
https://github.com/INCATools/ontology-development-kit

Unfortunately non-OBO ontologies are not supported, but it should be usable with some tweaking of these results. The linked slides may also be useful for best practice for managing ontologies in hosted VCS systems like GitHub.

On 8 Aug 2018, at 12:48, Michael DeBellis wrote:

[...]

María Poveda
Dear Adel,

 if you want to publish it in GitHub you can use OnToology (http://ontoology.linkeddata.es/) to assign a w3id to it and the redirection will be automatically done to your GitHub repository. OnToology will also help you generating documentation and evaluation for your ontology.

There is also another option in OnToology to download the bundle with the files needed for content negotiation, but in that case you need you set up you own server.

Best,

María

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM, Adel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All Freind please, need help and very urgent ... I want to publish my ontology an online so I do not have any information. please help me and I want it from scratch... ASAP Sincerely Adel

Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Igor Toujilov-2

Hi All,

That’s it. I agree with Chris. Ontologies are software. So, use the best practice for standard software development, which is a version control system like Git (my preference), Mercurial, or Subversion, matured over decades. Go to a web portal for the open source development. The most famous ones are GitHub, SourceForge, or BitBucket. Set up your project as soon as possible to provide all development history. This will boost the trust of ontology users, as they will see the entire development process and motivation.

Cheers,

Igor

Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Adel
Dear Chris

Thanks for your co-operation.

So what is the next step once I uploaded my ontology on GitHub and this is the link     https://github.com/Duhok2018/ontology

Sincerely
Adel

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 02:35, Chris Mungall <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ADEL AL-ZEBARI
Assistant Lecturer at Technical College of Informatics-Akre/ Information Technology Department
Ph.D. Candidate Duhok Polytechnic University Joint with University Technology Malaysia
Msc Communication Network Planning and Management/ Portsmouth University/ United Kingdom.
Bsc Computer Engineering / Mosul University/ Iraq.
Tel. +964-7507343832

Re: [external] Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Rolph, Don

Thanks!

That’s it. I agree with Chris. Ontologies are software. So, use the best practice for standard software development, which is a version control system like Git (my preference), Mercurial, or Subversion, matured over decades. Go to a web portal for the open source development. The most famous ones are GitHub, SourceForge, or BitBucket. Set up your project as soon as possible to provide all development history. This will boost the trust of ontology users, as they will see the entire development process and motivation.

Cheers,

Igor

Re: [external] Re: How To Publish an Ontology

Ghislain ATEMEZING
Hi Adel,
More hints and pointers below :
1- https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/ (BP for publishing RDF vocabularies)
3- Please reuse other stable vocabs out there ... See Example looking for class "Course" in other  vocabs , see https://lov.linkeddata.es/dataset/lov/terms?q=Course
4- This nice blog on "how to (properly) publish ontology on the Web starting here https://linkingresearch.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/how-to-properly-publish-a-vocabulary-or-ontology-in-the-web-1-of-6/
5 - When ready and want it to be "visible", then suggest it here https://lov.linkeddata.es/dataset/lov/suggest

HTH
Ghislain

Thanks!

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 at 12:34 AM
From: "Chris Mungall" <[hidden email]>
To: "User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop" <[hidden email]>

[...]

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)