How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

12

How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

sombhop
Dear Sir/Madam,
    I have Protege 3.1.1 and Racerpro 1.9 installed on my PC. I'm a newbie for Protege.
I create my simple ontology which the superclass have some datatype and object properties inherits to the subclasses and
those subclasses have its instance/individual. I also have a test subclass named 'test' for testing whether the result correct or not by creating a hasValue restriction likely specify the MozzarellaTopping has Italy as its country of origin in the Pizza tutorial. How can I see all instances or attributes display after classifying ontology ? . Am I wrong ?/ Please give me a direction.
Thanks,
Sombhop

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

Nick Drummond
Sombhop.

You can see how instances are classified on the individuals tab - first
classify, then get inferred types. Infered members of a class should
then be visible by selecting the "inferred" tab - classes also have
numbers after them to show the number of asserted and inferred members.
I hope this answers your question. In general there are tabs for
displaying the inferred information where appropriate in the interface.

Nick

--

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Do I need netscape?

Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert)
Hi, I just downloaded Protege 3.1.1.
I seem to be able to launch it OK on my Ubuntu Breezy Linux machine.
When I try the Help, I get this error:

WARNING: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: netscape: not found -- SystemUtilities.showHTML()

Maybe it's not Protege per se, but I know next to nothing about
Java configuration... I do have Firefox on my system... Do I need to
seek and install netscape, or is there some config file somewhere
that I can just edit and replace some path to netscape with a path
to firefox?

Another newbie Question: I was trying to find the Wizard to add groups of
subclasses... is there a version for Linux available? I have found some
wizards that seem to download zip files... leading me to wonder if
they'll work on Linux.

Thanks!
Robert

[protege-owl] Re: Do I need netscape?

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Robert,

On Unix, Protege will try to launch Netscape unless you define the
property "browser.html" in the protege.properties file.  The property
should point at the browser you want to use.

Jennifer

Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert) wrote:

>Hi, I just downloaded Protege 3.1.1.
>I seem to be able to launch it OK on my Ubuntu Breezy Linux machine.
>When I try the Help, I get this error:
>
>WARNING: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: netscape: not found -- SystemUtilities.showHTML()
>
>Maybe it's not Protege per se, but I know next to nothing about
>Java configuration... I do have Firefox on my system... Do I need to
>seek and install netscape, or is there some config file somewhere
>that I can just edit and replace some path to netscape with a path
>to firefox?
>
>Another newbie Question: I was trying to find the Wizard to add groups of
>subclasses... is there a version for Linux available? I have found some
>wizards that seem to download zip files... leading me to wonder if
>they'll work on Linux.
>
>Thanks!
>Robert

[protege-owl] Re: Do I need netscape?

Nick Drummond
Hi Robert,

The wizards don't need any zip files to work, But they are distributed
in this form - however, they also come with the standard installation so
you should hopefully be able to use them. I don't see any reason that
they shouldn't work if you can run protege - let me know if you have
problems.

I can send you a different archive format if you can't open zips.

Nick

Jennifer Vendetti wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On Unix, Protege will try to launch Netscape unless you define the
> property "browser.html" in the protege.properties file.  The property
> should point at the browser you want to use.
>
> Jennifer
>
> Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert) wrote:
>
>> Hi, I just downloaded Protege 3.1.1.
>> I seem to be able to launch it OK on my Ubuntu Breezy Linux machine.
>> When I try the Help, I get this error:
>>
>> WARNING: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: netscape: not
>> found -- SystemUtilities.showHTML()
>>
>> Maybe it's not Protege per se, but I know next to nothing about
>> Java configuration... I do have Firefox on my system... Do I need to
>> seek and install netscape, or is there some config file somewhere
>> that I can just edit and replace some path to netscape with a path
>> to firefox?
>>
>> Another newbie Question: I was trying to find the Wizard to add
>> groups of
>> subclasses... is there a version for Linux available? I have found some
>> wizards that seem to download zip files... leading me to wonder if
>> they'll work on Linux.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Robert

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Re: Do I need netscape?

Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert)
Hi Jennifer and Nick,

Thanks, I inserted the line to protege.properties: broswer.html=/usr/bin/firefox
then I started Protege and saved the project,then I exited and re-started, and I tried
the Help and it worked OK! Thanks!

Since I couldn't get the help to work yesterday, I had googled and gotten a PDF
to an older Protege manual:

A Practical Guide To Building OWL Ontologies Using The Protege-OWL
Plugin and CO-ODE Tools - Edition 1.0

It's a fine manual, but the names for various things have changed, apparently.
So I did eventually find the wizards I needed after I sent the message to the list.

Thanks again!

Jennifer Vendetti wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On Unix, Protege will try to launch Netscape unless you define the
> property "browser.html" in the protege.properties file.  The property
> should point at the browser you want to use.
>
> Jennifer
>
> Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert) wrote:
>
>> Hi, I just downloaded Protege 3.1.1.
>> I seem to be able to launch it OK on my Ubuntu Breezy Linux machine.
>> When I try the Help, I get this error:
>>
>> WARNING: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: netscape: not
>> found -- SystemUtilities.showHTML()
>>
>> Maybe it's not Protege per se, but I know next to nothing about
>> Java configuration... I do have Firefox on my system... Do I need to
>> seek and install netscape, or is there some config file somewhere
>> that I can just edit and replace some path to netscape with a path
>> to firefox?
>>
>> Another newbie Question: I was trying to find the Wizard to add
>> groups of
>> subclasses... is there a version for Linux available? I have found some
>> wizards that seem to download zip files... leading me to wonder if
>> they'll work on Linux.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Robert

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Re: Do I need netscape?

Nick Drummond
The Protege-OWL manual has been under a process of rewriting - a
significant effort by its author.
Unfortunately, only so much time in the day - glad you've found what you
need.

Nick

Phillips, Robert V, III (Robert) wrote:

>Hi Jennifer and Nick,
>
>Thanks, I inserted the line to protege.properties: broswer.html=/usr/bin/firefox
>then I started Protege and saved the project,then I exited and re-started, and I tried
>the Help and it worked OK! Thanks!
>
>Since I couldn't get the help to work yesterday, I had googled and gotten a PDF
>to an older Protege manual:
>
>A Practical Guide To Building OWL Ontologies Using The Protege-OWL
>Plugin and CO-ODE Tools - Edition 1.0
>
>It's a fine manual, but the names for various things have changed, apparently.
>So I did eventually find the wizards I needed after I sent the message to the list.
>
>Thanks again!
>Robert

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

sombhop
Hi Nick,
    I have followed your suggestion but no success. Let me explain more.
Suppose  I have class Music  which having 3 datatype properties and 1 object property (owner_by). Class Music  has subclass Pop,Dance,Rock and Indie.  Subclass Pop has 1 individual and Rock has 2 individuals. I also have a test subclass named 'test' for testing with a hasValue restriction (sung_by hasValue Michael_jackson).
Can I use protege to show me the individual of the 'test' class after classifying.

Sombhop

--

Nick Drummond

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ < http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

Hai Wang
Hi Sombhop,
May I know if there was any classes being classified as the sub class
of "test"? If not, there will be no inferred individuals for the
class "test", otherwise, Nick's suggestion should work. Please make
sure that the "test" class has been defined (i.e, with Necessary and
sufficient condition).

Regards
Hai

On 4 Feb 2006, at 14:51, sombhop wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>     I have followed your suggestion but no success. Let me explain
> more.
> Suppose  I have class Music  which having 3 datatype properties and
> 1 object property (owner_by). Class Music  has subclass
> Pop,Dance,Rock and Indie.  Subclass Pop has 1 individual and Rock
> has 2 individuals. I also have a test subclass named 'test' for
> testing with a hasValue restriction (sung_by hasValue
> Michael_jackson).
> Can I use protege to show me the individual of the 'test' class
> after classifying.
>
> Sombhop
>
> On 2/3/06, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sombhop.
>
> You can see how instances are classified on the individuals tab -
> first
> classify, then get inferred types. Infered members of a class should
> then be visible by selecting the "inferred" tab - classes also have
> numbers after them to show the number of asserted and inferred
> members.
> I hope this answers your question. In general there are tabs for
> displaying the inferred information where appropriate in the
> interface.
>
> Nick
>
> sombhop wrote:
>
> > Dear Sir/Madam,
> >     I have Protege 3.1.1 and Racerpro 1.9 installed on my PC. I'm a
> > newbie for Protege.
> > I create my simple ontology which the superclass have some datatype
> > and object properties inherits to the subclasses and
> > those subclasses have its instance/individual. I also have a test
> > subclass named 'test' for testing whether the result correct or
> not by
> > creating a hasValue restriction likely specify the MozzarellaTopping
> > has Italy as its country of origin in the Pizza tutorial. How can I
> > see all instances or attributes display after classifying
> ontology ? .
> > Am I wrong ?/ Please give me a direction.
> > Thanks,
> > Sombhop
>

> --
>
> Nick Drummond
>
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ < <a href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%">http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%
> 7Edrummond/>
> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

sombhop
Hi Hai,
    No, there is only 'test' subclass under Music class. I have defined it in the necessary&sufficient condition.
Please advise me.

Regards
Sombhop

On 2/4/06, Hai Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> ontology ? .
> > Am I wrong ?/ Please give me a direction.
> > Thanks,
> > Sombhop
>

> --
>
> Nick Drummond
>
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ < <a href="http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%">http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%
> 7Edrummond/>
> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

It may mean that you missed some information in your model. If you do
not mind, you could send me your ontology privately and I can have a
look.  thanks

Cheers
Hai

On 5 Feb 2006, at 08:18, sombhop wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > sombhop wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Sir/Madam,
> > >     I have Protege 3.1.1 and Racerpro 1.9 installed on my PC.
> I'm a
> > > newbie for Protege.
> > > I create my simple ontology which the superclass have some
> datatype
> > > and object properties inherits to the subclasses and
> > > those subclasses have its instance/individual. I also have a test
> > > subclass named 'test' for testing whether the result correct or
> > not by
> > > creating a hasValue restriction likely specify the
> MozzarellaTopping
> > > has Italy as its country of origin in the Pizza tutorial. How
> can I
> > > see all instances or attributes display after classifying
> > ontology ? .
> > > Am I wrong ?/ Please give me a direction.

[protege-owl] Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Wei Xing
Hi,

Does anyone know, in protege, how to setup/change the "Default Namespace" ?

Thanks,

Wei

Wei Xing, M.Sc.
Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
PO Box 20537
CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Hai Wang
Hi Wei,
You can change it from "MetaData" tab.

Cheers
Hai

On 5 Feb 2006, at 11:45, Wei Xing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know, in protege, how to setup/change the "Default
> Namespace" ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wei

> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
> PO Box 20537
> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Wei Xing
Hi, Laowang,

I tried in the MetaData tab, but failed. Then I sent the email.

Can please tell me more specific? :)   StepByStep.

Thanks.

Wei

PS: You can see from the attached file, there is no any icon (or some
other hints) for  modifying the "Default Namespace".  Thus, I  thought
in  somewhere  else?

namespace-protege (59K) Download Attachment

[protege-owl] Re: How can I show all the attributes that belong to the property for the inferred class. ?

Hai Wang
Hi Sombhop,

you can get all the individuals by right click the "test" class
and click "Inference"->"Computing individuals belonging to the
class".   Cheers
> [...]

> > subscribe.html
> >

> Regards
> Hai
>

> Research Associate
> Department of Computer Science
> Kilburn Building
> University of Manchester
> Oxford Road
> Manchester M13 9PL
> UK
> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Matthew Horridge
Hi Wei,

The default namespace is automatically derived from the name (URI) of
the ontology.  As Hai says, you can change the name of the ontology
on the metadata tab.

On 5 Feb 2006, at 17:32, Hai Wang wrote:

> Hi Wei,
> You can change it from "MetaData" tab.
>
> Cheers
> Hai
>

> On 5 Feb 2006, at 11:45, Wei Xing wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know, in protege, how to setup/change the "Default
>> Namespace" ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Wei
>>
>> --
>> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
>> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
>> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
>> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
>> PO Box 20537
>> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

>> subscribe.html
>>

> Regards
> Hai
>

> Research Associate
> Department of Computer Science
> Kilburn Building
> University of Manchester
> Oxford Road
> Manchester M13 9PL
> UK
> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Matthew Horridge
Hi Wei,

I suggest you rebuild your project (discard the old pprj file), as it
looks like you have a strange mix of old and new widgets.

On 6 Feb 2006, at 07:08, Wei Xing wrote:

> Hi, Laowang,
>
> I tried in the MetaData tab, but failed. Then I sent the email.
>
> Can please tell me more specific? :)   StepByStep.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wei
>
> PS: You can see from the attached file, there is no any icon (or
> some other hints) for  modifying the "Default Namespace".  Thus, I
> thought  in  somewhere  else?
>
> Hai Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Wei,
>> You can change it from "MetaData" tab.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hai
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2006, at 11:45, Wei Xing wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know, in protege, how to setup/change the "Default
>>> Namespace" ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Wei
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
>>> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
>>> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
>>> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
>>> PO Box 20537
>>> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

>>> subscribe.html
>>>

>> Regards
>> Hai
>>

>> Research Associate
>> Department of Computer Science
>> Kilburn Building
>> University of Manchester
>> Oxford Road
>> Manchester M13 9PL
>> UK
>> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

>> subscribe.html

> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
> PO Box 20537
> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS
>

> <namespace-protege>

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Daniel Elenius
It should be possible to have different URIs for default namespace and
ontology URI.

(Is the ontology URI the URI of the ontology element in the OWL file?)

Daniel

Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Hi Wei,
>
> The default namespace is automatically derived from the name (URI) of
> the ontology.  As Hai says, you can change the name of the ontology on
> the metadata tab.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> On 5 Feb 2006, at 17:32, Hai Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Wei,
>> You can change it from "MetaData" tab.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Hai
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2006, at 11:45, Wei Xing wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know, in protege, how to setup/change the "Default
>>> Namespace" ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Wei
>>>
>>> --============================================================
>>> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
>>> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
>>> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
>>> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
>>> PO Box 20537
>>> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

>> Regards
>> Hai
>>

>> Research Associate
>> Department of Computer Science
>> Kilburn Building
>> University of Manchester
>> Oxford Road
>> Manchester M13 9PL
>> UK
>> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Wei Xing
Hi, Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

As you meintioned in the prior email, I modified the owl file with
namespace manually, then load  it into protege. I will try to rebuild a
new project.

Cheers,

Wei

Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Hi Wei,
>
> I suggest you rebuild your project (discard the old pprj file), as it
> looks like you have a strange mix of old and new widgets.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> On 6 Feb 2006, at 07:08, Wei Xing wrote:
>
>> Hi, Laowang,
>>
>> I tried in the MetaData tab, but failed. Then I sent the email.
>>
>> Can please tell me more specific? :)   StepByStep.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Wei
>>
>> PS: You can see from the attached file, there is no any icon (or
>> some other hints) for  modifying the "Default Namespace".  Thus, I
>> thought  in  somewhere  else?
>>
>> Hai Wang wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Wei,
>>> You can change it from "MetaData" tab.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Hai

>>> Regards
>>> Hai
>>>

>>> Research Associate
>>> Department of Computer Science
>>> Kilburn Building
>>> University of Manchester
>>> Oxford Road
>>> Manchester M13 9PL
>>> UK
>>> Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

>>> subscribe.html
>>>

>> --
>> Wei Xing, M.Sc.
>> Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
>> Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
>> University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
>> PO Box 20537
>> CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS
>>

>> <namespace-protege>

Wei Xing, M.Sc.
Research Associate                    Tel: 00357-22892663
Dept. of Computer Science             Fax: 00357-22892701
University of Cyprus                  email: [hidden email]
PO Box 20537
CY1678, Nicosia, CYPRUS

[protege-owl] Re: Set-up "Default Namespace"?

Matthew Horridge
Hi Daniel,

> It should be possible to have different URIs for default namespace
> and ontology URI.

I totally agree.  Moreover,  I tend to think there are two different
sets of namespaces - those you see in the RDF/XML files (that are
used to produce legal XML), and those that you see in the UI (which
are used to shorten names).  Unfortunately, class, property and
individual names in protege-owl are intrinsically linked to
namespaces due to the way the namespace mechanism works.  Because of
this, the default namespace is derived from the ontology URI.

> (Is the ontology URI the URI of the ontology element in the OWL file?)

Yes.

It is likely that the namespace mechanism will change in the future,
and hopefully these problems will go away.