How do I define a 'Data Range Expression "that includes all types of data ?

How do I define a 'Data Range Expression "that includes all types of data ?

mpuebla

"For each datatype property with multiple ranges in the ontology, we recommend including at most one datatype as range. We recommend taking into account the built-in datatype hierarchy defined in [1] to select such datatype. If there is more than one plausible candidate, find their lowest common
ancestor and set it as the range of the datatype property."

what data type is this?

Best regards.

The University of Informatics Sciences invites you to participate in the Scientific Conference UCIENCIA 2016, [extended] deadline: september 30th.
Conferencia Científica UCIENCIA 2016, plazo de envío de trabajos hasta el 30 de septiembre. http://uciencia.eventos.uci.cu/

Re: How do I define a 'Data Range Expression "that includes all types of data ?

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Where is this quote from?
What is reference [1]?

In any case, the quote says that you should include "at most one datatype as range", which means, either one or nothing at all. If you can't identify (a range of values within) a data type that makes sense for all possible values of that property, you should not specify the range at all.

Please don't forget also, that specifying a range for a property does not say that the given property will, for sure, have a value of that type, but rather it says that if the property has any value, that value is of the type specified in the range (or if it is of different type the ontology will be inconsistent). If this is not clear, I would recommend you to read the OWL Tutorial [2], especially the section describing Property Domains and Ranges, which is on page 33, in the v1.3 of the tutorial that I pointed you at.

Csongor

[2] http://mowl-power.cs.man.ac.uk/protegeowltutorial/resources/ProtegeOWLTutorialP4_v1_3.pdf

On 09/24/2016 07:43 PM, Manuel Enrique Puebla Martinez wrote:

"For each datatype property with multiple ranges in the ontology, we recommend including at most one datatype as range. We recommend taking into account the built-in datatype hierarchy defined in [1] to select such datatype. If there is more than one plausible candidate, find their lowest common
ancestor and set it as the range of the datatype property."

what data type is this?

Best regards.

The University of Informatics Sciences invites you to participate in the Scientific Conference UCIENCIA 2016, [extended] deadline: september 30th.
Conferencia Científica UCIENCIA 2016, plazo de envío de trabajos hasta el 30 de septiembre. http://uciencia.eventos.uci.cu/

Re: How do I define a 'Data Range Expression "that includes all types of data ?

María Poveda-2
I believe the hierarchy of data types is https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#built-in-datatypes

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

María Poveda Villalón, PhD

Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Madrid, Spain