How does Protege deal with rdf:Property?

How does Protege deal with rdf:Property?

Steve Vestal
I downloaded some owl:Ontology files that use rdfs:Class and
rdf:Property to define classes and properties (what the documentation
calls concepts and relationships).  Protege seems to recognize
rdfs:Class as declaring an owl:Class but does not seem to recognize
rdf:Property.  At least, I cannot get them to display.  Is that true?

The OWL standard says "Both owl:ObjectProperty and owl:DatatypeProperty
are subclasses of the RDF class rdf:Property."  That, and a glance at
Appendix B, give me the impression rdf:Property is used for sort of
meta-language purposes w.r.t. OWL, and thus would not be accepted as
fully synonymous with either owl:ObjectProperty or
owl:DatatypeProperty.  I also wonder if these would be considered
well-formed OWL ontologies.

The OWL standard says "...any RDF graph forms an OWL Full ontology...OWL
Full ontologies can thus include arbitrary RDF content."  Is there some
way to get Protege to display rdf:Properties?   If not, if I create a
parent OWL ontology that imports their OWL ontologies, what assertion
could be used to further refine their rdf:Property IRIs to be either an
owl:ObjectProperty or an owl:DatatypeProperty that presumably would
display?

Re: How does Protege deal with rdf:Property?

Lorenz Buehmann
Those are handled as annotation properties because just guessing either
object or data property would be wrong.

On 14.02.20 00:04, Steve Vestal wrote:

> I downloaded some owl:Ontology files that use rdfs:Class and
> rdf:Property to define classes and properties (what the documentation
> calls concepts and relationships).  Protege seems to recognize
> rdfs:Class as declaring an owl:Class but does not seem to recognize
> rdf:Property.  At least, I cannot get them to display.  Is that true?
>
> The OWL standard says "Both owl:ObjectProperty and owl:DatatypeProperty
> are subclasses of the RDF class rdf:Property."  That, and a glance at
> Appendix B, give me the impression rdf:Property is used for sort of
> meta-language purposes w.r.t. OWL, and thus would not be accepted as
> fully synonymous with either owl:ObjectProperty or
> owl:DatatypeProperty.  I also wonder if these would be considered
> well-formed OWL ontologies.
>
> The OWL standard says "...any RDF graph forms an OWL Full ontology...OWL
> Full ontologies can thus include arbitrary RDF content."  Is there some
> way to get Protege to display rdf:Properties?   If not, if I create a
> parent OWL ontology that imports their OWL ontologies, what assertion
> could be used to further refine their rdf:Property IRIs to be either an
> owl:ObjectProperty or an owl:DatatypeProperty that presumably would
> display?

Re: How does Protege deal with rdf:Property?

Steve Vestal
I opened an "annotation properties hierarchy" view but did not see any rdf:Property properties.  The other annotations views didn't show anything.  What is the protege view and setting to use for rdf:Property?

------------------------------

Message: 6

Re: How does Protege deal with rdf:Property?

Lorenz Buehmann

you're right. look like they won't be considered at all unless they're used in instance data, then they occur as annotation property at least.

Compare

<http://ex.org/p> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property> .

vs

<http://ex.org/p> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property> .
<http://ex.org/a> <http://ex.org/p> <http://ex.org/b> .

My bad. that said, you can fix the ontology if you just add declaration axioms for the properties - just if you need it.