How to change the Layout of the visualization of a ontology using OntoViz?

How to change the Layout of the visualization of a ontology using OntoViz?

Alexandre Parra
      Hi all,

      I would like to know where I must configure the OntoViz so that he
generates the classes and its relationships of hierarchy in form of ellipse
and not of rectangle ?
     Debtor for attention,

         Alexandre Parra.

Re: How to change the Layout of the visualization of a ontology using OntoViz?

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator

Hello Alexandre,

I am not aware of any way to configure the shape of the nodes using the
Ontoviz Tab.  If you really need this functionality, the tab and the 3rd
party drawing library that it uses (Graphviz, http://www.graphviz.org/)
are open source.  You could probably write some custom code to
accomplish this.

Alternatively, you could look at the other visualization plug-ins
available for Protege to see if any of them better meet your needs:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProtegePluginsLibraryByTopic#nid3QH

Jennifer

Alexandre Parra wrote:

>      Hi all,
>
>      I would like to know where I must configure the OntoViz so that he
>generates the classes and its relationships of hierarchy in form of ellipse
>and not of rectangle ?
>     Debtor for attention,
>
>         Alexandre Parra.

Re: How to change the Layout of the visualization of a ontology using OntoViz?

Nigam Shah

Hi Alexandre,

The protégé Ontoviz tab write a <projectname>.dot file when you create
a graph using the tab. You can use this .dot file with Graphviz's
dot.exe (you already have it if the Ontoviz tab is working) in the
following manner:

Dot -Nshape=ellipse -Tpng -ograph.png <projectname>.dot

The full list of options for dot are:

Usage: dot [-Vv?] [-(GNE)name=val] [-(Tlso)<val>] <dot files>
 -V          - Print version and exit
 -v          - Enable verbose mode
 -Gname=val  - Set graph attribute 'name' to 'val'
 -Nname=val  - Set node attribute 'name' to 'val'
 -Ename=val  - Set edge attribute 'name' to 'val'
 -Tv         - Set output format to 'v'
 -lv         - Use external library 'v'
 -ofile      - Write output to 'file'
 -q[l]       - Set level of message suppression (=1)
 -s[v]       - Scale input by 'v' (=72)
 -y          - Invert y coordinate in output

Enjoy!
-Nigam.