How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

Deepjyoti
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project for development of an ontology using
protege tool. The project is almost finished. Now stuck in the ontology
evaluation part.  My supervisor wants the internal consistency report for
the ontology. I did internal consistency check using reasoners and found no
error.
I wish to know about available tools by which we can check the internal
consistency of an ontology. Yes reasoners does that for us in protege, but
is there any other tools by which we can do that so that the result of
consistency check can be exported and added  as a supplementary to my
research report.

Is not some tools, please help me with some theoretical methodologies which
I can manually use to do internal consistency check.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

sanju tiwari
You can use OOPs! online tool to evaluate your ontology based on several pitfalls.
Put your OWL code and check your ontology on this link:

Abrief discription is available in this paper:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 1:32 PM Deepjyoti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project for development of an ontology using
protege tool. The project is almost finished. Now stuck in the ontology
evaluation part.  My supervisor wants the internal consistency report for
the ontology. I did internal consistency check using reasoners and found no
error.
I wish to know about available tools by which we can check the internal
consistency of an ontology. Yes reasoners does that for us in protege, but
is there any other tools by which we can do that so that the result of
consistency check can be exported and added  as a supplementary to my
research report.

Is not some tools, please help me with some theoretical methodologies which
I can manually use to do internal consistency check.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Dr. Sanju Tiwari
PhD, Post-Doc(Ontology Engineering Group, UPM, Madrid)
Member IEEE
Member Machine Intelligence Research Labs(MIR Lab), USA

Re: How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

what is "internal consistency"?

And what would the export look like? Ieman, in Protege the OWL reasoner
just throws an error if not, so the output of your ontology would be
what, "true"? Why doyou need a tool that exports this boolean value?

On 21.04.20 10:01, Deepjyoti wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently working on a project for development of an ontology using
> protege tool. The project is almost finished. Now stuck in the ontology
> evaluation part.  My supervisor wants the internal consistency report for
> the ontology. I did internal consistency check using reasoners and found no
> error.
> I wish to know about available tools by which we can check the internal
> consistency of an ontology. Yes reasoners does that for us in protege, but
> is there any other tools by which we can do that so that the result of
> consistency check can be exported and added  as a supplementary to my
> research report.
>
> Is not some tools, please help me with some theoretical methodologies which
> I can manually use to do internal consistency check.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

what is "internal consistency"?

And what would the export look like? I mean, in Protege the OWL reasoner
just throws an error if not, so the output of your ontology would be
what, "true"? Why do you need a tool that exports this boolean value?

Other than that, OWL API is the Java based "backend" of Protege + some
reasoner of your choice. You can write the 10 lines of code and have
your whatever export, though I still don't get the benefit of this.

On 21.04.20 10:01, Deepjyoti wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently working on a project for development of an ontology using
> protege tool. The project is almost finished. Now stuck in the ontology
> evaluation part.  My supervisor wants the internal consistency report for
> the ontology. I did internal consistency check using reasoners and found no
> error.
> I wish to know about available tools by which we can check the internal
> consistency of an ontology. Yes reasoners does that for us in protege, but
> is there any other tools by which we can do that so that the result of
> consistency check can be exported and added  as a supplementary to my
> research report.
>
> Is not some tools, please help me with some theoretical methodologies which
> I can manually use to do internal consistency check.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

María Poveda
Dear all,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM Dr. Sanju Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can use OOPs! online tool to evaluate your ontology based on several pitfalls.

if you use OOPS! remember that this evaluation is complementary to the reasoner one as OOPS! does not check logical consistency (as there are already reasoners doing that).

You can find more information about OOPS! in https://www.igi-global.com/article/oops-ontology-pitfall-scanner/116450 and all details in http://oa.upm.es/39448/. And if you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

María

[...]

Dear  Lorenz Buehmann,

I agree to your point and this is what I am also trying to explain to my
supervisor.

But while giving the whole project the shape of a formal research report,
the reader might wish to see this point in the ontology evaluation part.
There fore we are exploring some solutions in this regard if there exist
any.

Re: How to check internal consistency of an Ontology?

Deepjyoti
Thanks Maria for the suggestion.

I have gone through your you tube video in this regard.