Quantcast

How to compare names individuals

Jos Lehmann-2

Hi there

SITUATION

I have 2 Excel files: EF1 and EF2, both containing knowledge about individuals. I have imported (with Cellie) the contents of EF1 into a series of OWL/XML files with an import structure which makes one ontology (ONT1). Now I want to create an ontology ONT2, which imports ONT1 and the content of EF2. The individuals in EF2 may or may not be in EF1/ONT1 (if their names match exactly they do, otherwise they don’t).

PROBLEM

Is there a way in Protégé to compare the names of each individual of a class (say all individuals of a certain named class) with the names of all other individuals in the ontology? I thought a SPARQL query might do -- can anybody confirm?

Or are there other methods available?

Or I am better off first comparing EF2 with EF1 in Excel and only then importing the contents of EF2 as individuals into ONT2?

Thanks, Jos

Re: How to compare names individuals

Josef Hardi
Hi Jos,
I think you can achieve what you’ve described with Cellfie (not Cellie btw) ;)

The workflow would be: after you import the EF1 individuals to ONT1, reopen Cellfie and create new rules for EF2. Now the trick is in the ‘Generate Axioms’ window, select ‘Add to a new ontology’ option and it will import to a different ontology (i.e., ONT2). Cellfie will automatically create a new ontology with an import ontology axiom pointing to ONT1.

Regarding name recognition: as long as the names match exactly, Cellfie will refer to the same individuals in those ontologies.

Best,
Josef