How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

Aras Balali Moghaddam
Hi All
I am looking at some example ontologies, I would like to know if they are OWL-DL, OWL-Lite or OWL-Full. The documentation tells me that there is a "Determine OWL Species..." option in the Tools menu, but in my installation this option is not present under tools or any other menu.
Does anyone know a way of determining OWL sub-language type using protege 4.0?

Thank You,
Aras

Re: How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

Nick Drummond
Hi Aras,

You cannot really do this in P4.

The only way to currently determine the language used is the
expressivity metric in the Active ontology tab.

This gives you the fragment of logic that is being used which is more
granular but perhaps not as intuitive - there is a lookup to what the
symbols mean here[1].

You can test if you are in OWL full by trying to classify an ontology
- you will get warnings from the reasoner.

Nick

[1] http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/navigator/

2009/6/11 Aras Balali Moghaddam <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All
> I am looking at some example ontologies, I would like to know if they are
> OWL-DL, OWL-Lite or OWL-Full. The documentation tells me that there is a
> "Determine OWL Species..." option in the Tools menu, but in my installation
> this option is not present under tools or any other menu.
> Does anyone know a way of determining OWL sub-language type using protege
> 4.0?
>
> Thank You,
> Aras

Re: How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

Aras Balali Moghaddam
Hi Nick
Thanks for the hint. I could determine the type of some of the examples using the method you suggested. However one of the codes (ALE+) is not in that lookup page, do you know what does the symbol E stand for here?
My second question is, how does the type of sub-language gets set. I noticed if I start a new ontology the DL expressivity is set to AL. Is there a way of specifying the language up front at the time of creating the ontology?
I am still very new to DL and OWL and would appreciate any hint to clarify this a bit more.

Regards
Aras

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aras,

You cannot really do this in P4.

The only way to currently determine the language used is the
expressivity metric in the Active ontology tab.

This gives you the fragment of logic that is being used which is more
granular but perhaps not as intuitive - there is a lookup to what the
symbols mean here[1].

You can test if you are in OWL full by trying to classify an ontology
- you will get warnings from the reasoner.

Nick

[1] http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/navigator/

2009/6/11 Aras Balali Moghaddam <[hidden email]>:
> Hi All
> I am looking at some example ontologies, I would like to know if they are
> OWL-DL, OWL-Lite or OWL-Full. The documentation tells me that there is a
> "Determine OWL Species..." option in the Tools menu, but in my installation
> this option is not present under tools or any other menu.
> Does anyone know a way of determining OWL sub-language type using protege
> 4.0?
>
> Thank You,
> Aras

Aras Balali
Research Assistant
Thompson Rivers University, BC, Canada
250 819 9550
http://ehealthresearch.ca/

Re: How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

Nick Drummond
Hi Aras,

E is for Existentials (some restrictions).

The DL expressivity is determined by what you have put in the ontology and is automatically updated.
There is currently no way to constrain the interface to only allow a sublanguage to be worked with.

Nick

2009/6/15 Aras Balali Moghaddam <[hidden email]>
Hi Nick
Thanks for the hint. I could determine the type of some of the examples using the method you suggested. However one of the codes (ALE+) is not in that lookup page, do you know what does the symbol E stand for here?
My second question is, how does the type of sub-language gets set. I noticed if I start a new ontology the DL expressivity is set to AL. Is there a way of specifying the language up front at the time of creating the ontology?
I am still very new to DL and OWL and would appreciate any hint to clarify this a bit more.

Regards
Aras

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aras,

You cannot really do this in P4.

The only way to currently determine the language used is the
expressivity metric in the Active ontology tab.

This gives you the fragment of logic that is being used which is more
granular but perhaps not as intuitive - there is a lookup to what the
symbols mean here[1].

You can test if you are in OWL full by trying to classify an ontology
- you will get warnings from the reasoner.

Nick

[1] http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/navigator/

2009/6/11 Aras Balali Moghaddam <[hidden email]>:
> Hi All
> I am looking at some example ontologies, I would like to know if they are
> OWL-DL, OWL-Lite or OWL-Full. The documentation tells me that there is a
> "Determine OWL Species..." option in the Tools menu, but in my installation
> this option is not present under tools or any other menu.
> Does anyone know a way of determining OWL sub-language type using protege
> 4.0?
>
> Thank You,
> Aras

Aras Balali
Research Assistant
Thompson Rivers University, BC, Canada
250 819 9550
http://ehealthresearch.ca/

Re: How to determine OWL sub-language using Protege 4.0

Aras Balali Moghaddam
Thank you, Its more clear now.