How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Shahim Essaid
Hi all,

I am trying to add a JCheckBoxMenuItem to a menu from a plugin. How can
I get hold of the WorkspaceFrame menu bar from a plugin (especially
action plugins) in P4.1 when a plugin is being instantiated or initialized?

I tried  ProtegeManager.getInstance().getFrame(ws) from initialise() in
an action plugin but the ProtegeManger still dosen't have the
WorkspaceFrame by this point.

I see that the Workspace has a initialiseExtraMenuItems(JMenduBar mb).
It would be nice if there is a listener for this so plugins can do some
extra menu setup when this is called.  Also, I notices that there are no
Protege-specific listeners in Workspace, WorkspaceFrame,
WorksspaceManager or ProtegeManager that could be used by plugins to do
any customization. Are there plans to add few listeners to these classes?

Thank you,
Shahim Essaid

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Matthew Horridge
Hi Shahim,

You should add extra menu items as plugins in their own right [1] rather than fiddling with other bits of the GUI that might or might not be there when your plugin is initialised.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but it might be that you can't add a checked menu item (just a plain one).  If this is the case then this new plugin type should be added by the Protege developers.

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginTypes#EditorKitMenuAction

On 19 Apr 2010, at 00:55, Shahim Essaid wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to add a JCheckBoxMenuItem to a menu from a plugin. How can I get hold of the WorkspaceFrame menu bar from a plugin (especially action plugins) in P4.1 when a plugin is being instantiated or initialized?
>
> I tried  ProtegeManager.getInstance().getFrame(ws) from initialise() in an action plugin but the ProtegeManger still dosen't have the WorkspaceFrame by this point.
> I see that the Workspace has a initialiseExtraMenuItems(JMenduBar mb). It would be nice if there is a listener for this so plugins can do some extra menu setup when this is called.  Also, I notices that there are no Protege-specific listeners in Workspace, WorkspaceFrame, WorksspaceManager or ProtegeManager that could be used by plugins to do any customization. Are there plans to add few listeners to these classes?
>
> Thank you,
> Shahim Essaid

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Shahim Essaid
Hi Matthew,

I am creating an action by using the plugin framework but as far as I
can tell there is no way to add a checkbox menu item from a plugin.  I
can work around this by adding the checkbox to a view but placing it in
the menu makes more sense.

What I am trying to do is to have an easy way to turn on the plugin on a
per-workspace bases. Otherwise, I will have to keep two Protege
installations. I looked at how the tabs menu items (the ones with check
boxes) are added to the menu but realized that this is done in the core
by directly modifying the menubar.  I can also look at how the
reasoner's on/off radio button menu items are added but I am guessing
that I will find the same.

Shahim

Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Hi Shahim,
>
> You should add extra menu items as plugins in their own right [1] rather than fiddling with other bits of the GUI that might or might not be there when your plugin is initialised.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but it might be that you can't add a checked menu item (just a plain one).  If this is the case then this new plugin type should be added by the Protege developers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginTypes#EditorKitMenuAction
>
> On 19 Apr 2010, at 00:55, Shahim Essaid wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to add a JCheckBoxMenuItem to a menu from a plugin. How can I get hold of the WorkspaceFrame menu bar from a plugin (especially action plugins) in P4.1 when a plugin is being instantiated or initialized?
>>
>> I tried  ProtegeManager.getInstance().getFrame(ws) from initialise() in an action plugin but the ProtegeManger still dosen't have the WorkspaceFrame by this point.
>> I see that the Workspace has a initialiseExtraMenuItems(JMenduBar mb). It would be nice if there is a listener for this so plugins can do some extra menu setup when this is called.  Also, I notices that there are no Protege-specific listeners in Workspace, WorkspaceFrame, WorksspaceManager or ProtegeManager that could be used by plugins to do any customization. Are there plans to add few listeners to these classes?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Shahim Essaid

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Timothy Redmond

Also there is another link [1].

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginAnatomy#Adding_Menu_Plugins

On 04/19/2010 09:27 AM, Matthew Horridge wrote:
[...]

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the link. However, I still can't figure out how I can add a
custom JMenuItem/JMenu (JCheckBoxMenuItem in this case) from my
EditorKitMenuAction extension to the menu bar without modifying one of
the core managers. Is there an easier way for doing this?

Thanks,
Shahim

Timothy Redmond wrote:

> Also there is another link [1].
>
> -Timothy
>

> [1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginAnatomy#Adding_Menu_Plugins
>
> On 04/19/2010 09:27 AM, Matthew Horridge wrote:
>> Hi Shahim,
>>
>> You should add extra menu items as plugins in their own right [1] rather than fiddling with other bits of the GUI that might or might not be there when your plugin is initialised.  I can't remember off the top of my head, but it might be that you can't add a checked menu item (just a plain one).  If this is the case then this new plugin type should be added by the Protege developers.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginTypes#EditorKitMenuAction
>>
>> On 19 Apr 2010, at 00:55, Shahim Essaid wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to add a JCheckBoxMenuItem to a menu from a plugin. How can I get hold of the WorkspaceFrame menu bar from a plugin (especially action plugins) in P4.1 when a plugin is being instantiated or initialized?
>>>
>>> I tried  ProtegeManager.getInstance().getFrame(ws) from initialise() in an action plugin but the ProtegeManger still dosen't have the WorkspaceFrame by this point.
>>> I see that the Workspace has a initialiseExtraMenuItems(JMenduBar mb). It would be nice if there is a listener for this so plugins can do some extra menu setup when this is called.  Also, I notices that there are no Protege-specific listeners in Workspace, WorkspaceFrame, WorksspaceManager or ProtegeManager that could be used by plugins to do any customization. Are there plans to add few listeners to these classes?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Shahim Essaid

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Timothy Redmond

Yes - I don't see how to do this without  some refactoring of the
internals of Protege4.

-Timothy

On 04/20/2010 03:08 PM, Shahim Essaid wrote:

> Hi Timothy,
>
> Thanks for the link. However, I still can't figure out how I can add a
> custom JMenuItem/JMenu (JCheckBoxMenuItem in this case) from my
> EditorKitMenuAction extension to the menu bar without modifying one of
> the core managers. Is there an easier way for doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Shahim
>
> Timothy Redmond wrote:
>>
>> Also there is another link [1].
>>
>> -Timothy
>>

>> [1]
>> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginAnatomy#Adding_Menu_Plugins
>>
>> On 04/19/2010 09:27 AM, Matthew Horridge wrote:
>>> Hi Shahim,
>>>
>>> You should add extra menu items as plugins in their own right [1]
>>> rather than fiddling with other bits of the GUI that might or might
>>> not be there when your plugin is initialised.  I can't remember off
>>> the top of my head, but it might be that you can't add a checked
>>> menu item (just a plain one).  If this is the case then this new
>>> plugin type should be added by the Protege developers.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>>
>>> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginTypes#EditorKitMenuAction

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Matthew Horridge
Would it be possible to add a flag to the xml plugin description for menu bars that specifies there should be a checkbox?  I think this would be the best way.  There could be a similar mechanism for radio buttons, but then some more info is needed such as a group identifier.

On 21 Apr 2010, at 15:29, Timothy Redmond wrote:

> Yes - I don't see how to do this without  some refactoring of the internals of Protege4.
>
> -Timothy
>

> On 04/20/2010 03:08 PM, Shahim Essaid wrote:
>> Hi Timothy,
>>
>> Thanks for the link. However, I still can't figure out how I can add a custom JMenuItem/JMenu (JCheckBoxMenuItem in this case) from my EditorKitMenuAction extension to the menu bar without modifying one of the core managers. Is there an easier way for doing this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shahim
>>
>> Timothy Redmond wrote:
>>>
>>> Also there is another link [1].
>>>
>>> -Timothy
>>>

>>> [1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PluginAnatomy#Adding_Menu_Plugins

Re: How to get hold of the menubar from a plugin?

Shahim Essaid
What I ended up doing is to schedule a SwingWorker task from my plugin's
initialization. This task keeps checking the ProtegeManager every second
until the WorkspaceFrame becomes available. It then adds my custom menu
and makes a call back to my plugin.

Shahim

On 04/22/2010 10:06 AM, Shahim Essaid wrote:

> What I ended up doing is to schedule a SwingWorker task from my
> plugin's initialization. This task keeps checking the ProtegeManager
> every second until the WorkspaceFrame becomes available. It then adds
> my custom menu and makes a call back to my plugin.
>
> Shahim
>
> Matthew Horridge wrote:
>> Would it be possible to add a flag to the xml plugin description for
>> menu bars that specifies there should be a checkbox?  I think this
>> would be the best way.  There could be a similar mechanism for radio
>> buttons, but then some more info is needed such as a group identifier.

I did this in the latest svn.  If the ProtegeAction involved also
implements a "void setMenuItem(JMenuItem menu)" method I arranged that
the ProtegeAction will see the JMenuItem in case it wants to set the
selection or something.  Radio buttons can come later.

-Timothy