How to make project public

amandas
I'm new to Protege, exploring how it works to see if it's suitable for my
thesaurus project. The user guide says that if I open the sharing settings
in my project, I should be able to make the project public. However, when I
open my sharing settings there are no Private or Public options.  There is
only the option to make it available to signed-in users.  Is there something
else I have to configure in order to make the Public option appear?

Re: How to make project public

Michael DeBellis-2
I assume you are talking about Web Protege of course not the desktop version. I'm pretty sure that for Web Protege you need to have an account before you can view an ontology. I think originally that wasn't the case but it was changed a while ago. The change makes sense to me, from a security standpoint it's risky to let anyone (or any bot) into the system without at least an email to confirm their identity. I've still used Web Protege to present ontologies to the public. I just put a one or two sentence disclaimer in my papers that to view the ontology people need to create an account first but that that is easy to do, just provide an email and password.

A couple of other points since you are a new user: I would suggest you do most of your development in the Desktop version and then upload to Web Protege unless you need to collaborate with other people in defining the ontology. Even then I would recommend taking the ontology from Web Protege and putting it in the Desktop version once in a while. The reason is that at this time Web Protege doesn't yet support any reasoners. Without a reasoner you are missing out on a lot of the power of OWL and of course SWRL rules. The reasoner makes sure your ontology is consistent and can also make your development a lot easier since it can automate a significant amount of development. There have been several times when I was entering data into an ontology and went to add some info to an individual only to find that it was already there, the reasoner had already inferred it based on the declarations in the ontology.

Also, if you must have a way to present your ontology to the public without requiring them to login you might want to check out WebVOWL. It's not an alternative to Protege, Protege is an editing tool WebVOWL is just a visualization tool. But with WebVOWL you can take the visualization of an ontology and export it to a JSON file and you can then put that JSON file on a web site that is available to the public without requiring a login. The JSON file automatically takes the user to WebVOWL with the visualization of your ontology. WebVOWL can be found here: http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl.html

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 1:01 PM amandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm new to Protege, exploring how it works to see if it's suitable for my
thesaurus project. The user guide says that if I open the sharing settings
in my project, I should be able to make the project public. However, when I
open my sharing settings there are no Private or Public options.  There is
only the option to make it available to signed-in users.  Is there something
else I have to configure in order to make the Public option appear?

Re: How to make project public

amandas
Thank you, Michael! This is very helpful. Yes, I am talking about Web
Protege. I have not tried out desktop Protege yet, but it's good to know
that it has additional features.  It sounds like reasoners could be used to
create reciprocal relationships, so that if I add a relationship with
another class or individual, that relationship will get added to the other
class or individual automatically.  This is a standard feature in thesaurus
software tools and I was hoping it would happen by default in Protege.

Best,
Amanda