How to merge two OWLs on owl:Thing via webprotege

How to merge two OWLs on owl:Thing via webprotege

Christian Rebischke
Hello,
I am researching in the topic of Semantic Web Services, for this I want
to use the Web Service specification OWL-S. Has anyone experience with
this?

I am working on an easy example for OWL-S, but somehow webprotege is
restricting me in what I want to do. (Or maybe I am just on a totally
wrong way, regarding Ontologies. I am pretty new to this subject).

i have created a "restaurant" project in webprotege and I would like to
create a small OWL-S example with this restaurant. So basically a small
web service ontologie about booking a table in a restaurant.

Therefore I've downloaded all upper ontologies for services from the
OWL-S specification website: http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.2/

Service.owl
Profile.owl
Process.owl
Grounding.owl

Now I guess I need to merge all 4 of them in webprotege to have a fully
functional web service ontology, is this correct?

Then I tried to merge this restaurant ontology on owl:thing: https://schema.org/Restaurant.xml
I do this, because I need to connect my Grounding.owl with a service
specific Restaurant Ontology.

I tried doing this via clicking on Project -> Apply External Edits ->
selecting the restaurant.xml file..

but somehow I can't merge the restaurant ontology with the service
ontology.

I thought all ontologies need to inherit from "OWL:Thing", so why is a
merge not possible? Or am I just using Ontologies completely wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Christian Rebischke

Re: How to merge two OWLs on owl:Thing via webprotege

samsontu
Hi,

I’d suggest that, on the desktop Protege, you import Service, Profile, Process, and Grounding ontologies into our restaurant ontology. You can supply URLs of the ontologies you want to import instead of downloading them.

Perhaps someone knows how to this in webProtege.

With best regards,
Samson

On Jan 30, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Christian Rebischke <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: How to merge two OWLs on owl:Thing via webprotege

Just FYI: I could be wrong but I don't think people have been actively working on DAML for a while. If you look at http://www.daml.org/ it says: "The DAML program will end in early 2006" and the most recent announcement on that page is from January 2006. If you want to just get an introduction to OWL I suggest doing the Stanford Pizza tutorial   Also,  the Manchester FHKB tutorial. Note: you need to do these using the Desktop version of Protege because they use the reasoner and there is no reasoner yet for Web protege.

You are correct that all OWL classes  have to ultimately inherit from owl:Thing which of course can mean that they are subclasses of some other subclass of owl:Thing. If you import an ontology into Protege though all the classes in it should already be subclasses of owl:Thing. A way to integrate two ontologies is to make classes in one ontology subclasses of classes in the other but if/how you do that depends on the domain(s).

So for example, if your Service ontology provides a class called WebService that defines a web service and you want to make classes in your restaurant ontology a web service you could import the Service ontology into the Restaurant ontology and  make each class from the Restaurant ontology that you wanted to enable as a web service a subclass of WebService. This is all just a hypothetical example, I've never used those ontologies and don't know how they actually work.