How to query an ontology in OWL

mbikinyi brat
Dear,
I have been advised to avoid SPARQL if I am to work or query ontologies in OWL. Is there an alternative to querying the ontology in OWL??

Regards,
Nan

Re: How to query an ontology in OWL

Timothy Redmond

The answer to this question depends on many things.  First of all, I
think that SPARQL is a bad fit with OWL.  It does not understand the
owl syntax and does not do semantic queries.  So I would say use
sparql only as a last resort (in protege 3 or protege 4).

What type of thing are you trying to do with the queries?  Can they be
represented as inference?  Perhaps as you get good with the dl query
tab it will provide many of the answers that you want.

Another option - but it only works with Protege 3 at the moment - is
Martin's SWRL work.  He has a SQWRL language that allows for a
flexible query mechanism.

-Timothy

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:40 AM, mbikinyi brat wrote:

> Dear,
> I have been advised to avoid SPARQL if I am to work or query
> ontologies in OWL. Is there an alternative to querying the ontology
> in OWL??
>
> Regards,
> Nan

Re: How to query an ontology in OWL

kotsomit
What about SPARQL-DL and SPARQL/OWL? Is there anything "alive" towards this
area?

Regards,

Dimitrios

Bijan Parsia-3
On Aug 17, 2008, at 7:39 PM, Dimitrios Koutsomitropoulos wrote:

> What about SPARQL-DL and SPARQL/OWL? Is there anything "alive"
> towards this
> area?

Yep. I hope to have a draft spec in Sept for review at OWLED.

Sorry for the delay...OWL WG has been eating up a lot more time than
I had hoped.

Meh.

>>   It does not understand the
>> owl syntax and does not do semantic queries.
[snip]

Well, I don't think it has to understand the OWL syntax. First, I
plan for SPARQL/OWL to allow for multiple syntaxes in the BGP parts,
so that's taken care of. Second, lots of people use RDFy syntax and,
painful though it may be, it can be made to work.

Obviously, SPARQL/OWL has the right semantics.

Cheers,
Bijan.

Re: How to query an ontology in OWL

portas
Bijan Parsia napsal(a):

> On Aug 17, 2008, at 7:39 PM, Dimitrios Koutsomitropoulos wrote:
>

>> What about SPARQL-DL and SPARQL/OWL? Is there anything "alive"
>> towards this
>> area?
>>

> Yep. I hope to have a draft spec in Sept for review at OWLED.

Hey Bijan,

good to hear that - I am interested in your efforts about SPARQL/OWL
stuff.  As I probably won't be present at OWLED in Karlsruhe, it would
be great if You could share the spec./yr thoughts about querying OWL as
I am now working on a more detailed version of the Pellet CQ paper, most
likely for ESWC 09.

Cheers,
Petr