How to related two ontologies in Protege

How to related two ontologies in Protege

IWilliams
Hi, I have two ontologies. One is a course ontology and the other is a
student ontology. I want to create a object property, hasCourse, between the
two ontologies, where the domain is student and the range is course.

Re: How to related two ontologies in Protege

Dave McComb-2
There are three ways to do this

1) course imports student, put prop in course
2) student imports course, put prop in student
3) new ontology imports both put prop there

Hi, I have two ontologies. One is a course ontology and the other is a
student ontology. I want to create a object property, hasCourse, between the
two ontologies, where the domain is student and the range is course.

Re: How to related two ontologies in Protege

IWilliams
I think I follow, but do you have a working example? Or, can point me to two
ontologies that I can look at as examples?

Re: How to related two ontologies in Protege

Dave McComb-2
The ontologies here are very modular, use imports liberally and refer to concepts defined elsewhere

www.Semanticarts.com/gist

I think I follow, but do you have a working example? Or, can point me to two
ontologies that I can look at as examples?

Re: How to related two ontologies in Protege

Michael DeBellis-2
iWilliams, Open Protege and go to the Active Ontology tab. It's usually the first tab in the various default tabs that Protege starts with. At the bottom you should see a long horizontal pane with three subtabs: Ontology imports, General class axioms, Ontology prefixes. Go to the Ontology imports tab and click on the "+" sign next to "Direct Imports". This will take you through a wizard to import the ontology. You could either create a new ontology that imported both or open one ontology and import the other into it.

In addition to the examples that Dave mentioned if you go to my blog page where I describe one of my ontologies: https://symbolicshacker.blogspot.com/2018/07/universal-moral-grammar-umg-ontology.html   and scroll down to where it says "Here is the OWL version of the ontology:" and download that ontology you will see that I imported the SWRL Time ontology into my ontology. It shows up on Ontology imports at the bottom.

Michael

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:57 AM Dave McComb <[hidden email]> wrote:
The ontologies here are very modular, use imports liberally and refer to concepts defined elsewhere

I think I follow, but do you have a working example? Or, can point me to two
ontologies that I can look at as examples?

Re: How to related two ontologies in Protege

IWilliams
Hi All,

Allow me to clarify.

Ontology 1:
*Use Case* /hasScenario/ *Scenario*

*Scenario* /hasSecCon/ *Security Concern*

Ontology 2:
*Security Attack* /hasAttackFlow/ *Attack Flow*

*Security Attack* /hasOwasp/ *OWASP*

These two ontologies are from two different domains.

When I import ontology 2 into ontology 1, the individuals that I created in
ontology 2 were not imported? How can I also import the individuals along
with ontology 2 into ontology 1?

Also, is it OK to use the  Equivalent To to say that *OWASP* and *Security
Concern* are the same?
Or would it be better to create a new object property, where the domain is
*Security Concern* and the range *OWASP*?

> *Scenario* /hasSecCon/ *Security Concern*
>
> Ontology 2:
> *Security Attack* /hasAttackFlow/ *Attack Flow*
>
> *Security Attack* /hasOwasp/ *OWASP*
>
> These two ontologies are from two different domains.

If you have no control on these two ontologies, and they are developed by someone else, it is better to use them unchanged. Create your own merge ontology, and import both ontologies into it. Then insert individuals into your merge ontology.

> When I import ontology 2 into ontology 1, the individuals that I created in
> ontology 2 were not imported? How can I also import the individuals along
> with ontology 2 into ontology 1?

Perhaps you did something wrong. If you post the exact description (step by step) of what you did (for example, 1. loading ontology 2 into Protégé, 2. inserting individuals, 3. saving ontology 2, etc. ), it might be possible to say what you did wrong.

> Also, is it OK to use the  Equivalent To to say that *OWASP* and *Security
> Concern* are the same?
> Or would it be better to create a new object property, where the domain is
> *Security Concern* and the range *OWASP*?

Making two classes from different ontologies equivalent or subclass of each other is a preferable way of merging ontologies.

Igor