How to see full membership when examining Individual

How to see full membership when examining Individual

Langley, Brent

It appears (in Protégé 4.1.0) that when an Individual (a Patient in my ontology) can be classified into a class that is several levels deep in the (asserted or inferred) class hierarchy, that the “Types” area of the Individual panel only shows the leaf-level class matches, and doesn’t show the superclasses of those leaves (even if the individual fully meet their necessary-and-complete / equivalent conditions for membership of each superclass).  When I look at the superclasses in Protégé, I can see that the “Members” area has these individuals inferred as members.  But the reciprocal membership is not indicated in the “Types” of the Individual display.

Is there a way to have the reasoner (HermiT in my case) fully detail every class that the Individual is inferred full membership?

If the reasoner is used as part of a web service, will the extended level of detail be shown (e.g. is this an aspect of the Protégé GUI, or some optimization being done by the reasoner?)

Thanks,

Brent

Re: How to see full membership when examining Individual

Timothy Redmond

I will handle the easy question first:

If the reasoner is used as part of a web service, will the extended level of detail be shown (e.g. is this an aspect of the Protégé GUI, or some optimization being done by the reasoner?)

If you are building a web-service, then you will have a lot of flexibility to do exactly what you want.  You can calculate and show your extended level of detail.  The most obvious limiting factor is efficiency.

On 09/27/2010 06:09 AM, Langley, Brent wrote:

It appears (in Protégé 4.1.0) that when an Individual (a Patient in my ontology) can be classified into a class that is several levels deep in the (asserted or inferred) class hierarchy, that the “Types” area of the Individual panel only shows the leaf-level class matches, and doesn’t show the superclasses of those leaves (even if the individual fully meet their necessary-and-complete / equivalent conditions for membership of each superclass).

This is done because it is believed that this is what a user will probably want.  If for an individual we show all the classes that the individual belongs to all the way up to owl thing then the user would see a large amount  of data.  Therefore we only show the 'direct' types of the individual.

When I look at the superclasses in Protégé, I can see that the “Members” area has these individuals inferred as members.  But the reciprocal membership is not indicated in the “Types” of the Individual display.

But I see that you are right about this - this was a surprise.  As  I indicated above, I would have expected only the direct relationships.  But this is easy to change and maybe  the indirect relationship is more useful.

-Timothy