How to set owl:equivalentClass between two classes ?

How to set owl:equivalentClass between two classes ?

Pekka Valta
Greetings from Finland,
Even with a lot of experimenting I've not found how to use Protege-Owl plug-ins to define owl:equivalentClass
between two classes. The visibility of owl:equivalent is set on in OWL Preferences, but it does not
appear in e.g. Class Editors Properties list. Can somebody give simple advices ?
I use Protege 3.2 beta Build 243 with Protege-OWL 2.2. Build 290. By the way, File/Save Project As (OWL)
does save nothing and sometimes the original OWL-file to be copied is also emptied totally ! A known bug ?
Regards
Pekka

Re: How to set owl:equivalentClass between two classes ?

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Pekka,

About your by the way:

Try the following settings with the values good for your computer by editing Protege.lax in %ProtegeHOME% folder:
#   LAX.NL.JAVA.OPTION.JAVA.HEAP.SIZE.INITIAL
#   -----------------------------------------
#   initial heap size 100mb = java parameter -Xms<size> = -Xms104857600
#   note: the bigger the heap, the less space for thread stacks (these are *not* in the Java heap)
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial=100m

#   LAX.NL.JAVA.OPTION.JAVA.HEAP.SIZE.MAX
#   -------------------------------------
#   maximum heap size 256mb = java parameter -Xmx<size> = - Xmx26843456
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=256m

#   LAX.NL.JAVA.OPTION.ADDITIONAL
#   -------------------------------------
#   initial heap for threads 256kb (default 64kb) = java parameter -Xss256k
lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Xss256k

Problem has been reported several times by serveral guys including me.

One solution might be a new Jambalaya, Release

Cheers Ronnie

Re: How to set owl:equivalentClass between two classes ?

Pekka Valta
Thanks Ronnie,
it seems that there is a memory management problem with Jambalaya ? Better to wait for a new release of it.

But my question about owl:equivalentClass property setting is a different "fish". Maybe somebody catches the bite.

A joke to cheer You up too , Ronnie. Your last name written in Finnish way is "Välkky", meaning the most clever person.

Regards

Pekka

Enable JessTab

Diogo Mattos

I'm trying to enable JessTab in Protégé 3.1. I install 30-days-expired version of Jess in the same directory of JessTab (.../Protege/plugins), but the JessTab don´t enable.

Any idea about how to solve it?

Regards,

Diogo

Re: How to set owl:equivalentClass between two classes ?

Nick Drummond
Pekka,

You don't directly see the owl:equivalentClass axiom in Protege.

Necessary & Sufficient conditions on a class describe an equivalent class

So, simplest case:

1. create class_1
2. create class_2
3. make sure class_2 is selected and click on the necessary & sufficient
line in the asserted conditions table
4. press the "add named class" button and select class_1
5. class_1 and class_2 are now displayed as equivalent (Protege actually
asserts this in both directions, which isn't strictly necessary)

You can obviously use this mechanism for mapping between 2 imported
ontologies or for creating equivalency with anonymous classes (any class
expression).

Nick

--

Nick Drummond

Re: Enable JessTab

Nick Drummond
Diogo,

I've not used JessTab with OWL, so I may be of no help whatsoever.
So just one stupid question - apologies - Have you made the tab visible
using Project->Configure ?

Nick

--

Nick Drummond