How to use concepts from external ontologies

How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
I want to use the QUDT ontologies in order to describe the concepts of my own ontology more detailed.
For example I try to assign "kilogram per cubicmeter", which is stated in the qudt-quantity vocabulary, as measurement unit for to the data property "hasDensity" of my own ontology.

For that purpose I mapped the qudt-quantity ontology within my own ontology:

But when I try to scroll through the available concepts and properties by pressing <Ctrl> + <Space> in the class expression editor, only those are displayed who are stated in my ontology.

Does somebody know how to use mapped ontologies?

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Joshua TAYLOR
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Mate Matic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to use the  QUDT ontologies <http://linkedmodel.org/catalog/qudt/1.1/>
> in order to describe the concepts of my own ontology more detailed.
> For example I try to assign "/kilogram per cubicmeter/", which is stated in
> the qudt-quantity vocabulary, as measurement unit for to the data property
> "/hasDensity/" of my own ontology.
>
> For that purpose I mapped the qudt-quantity ontology within my own ontology:
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4660991/Ontology_prefix_mapping1.png>

This screenshot doesn't show you importing the ontology, but just
defining a new prefix, which might make it easier to write concepts,
properties, etc., that are defined in that ontology.  You need to
actually *import* the ontology if you want to see the things defined
in it.  There's an answer on answers.semanticweb.com that shows how to
do this:

http://answers.semanticweb.com/questions/15112/protege-including-external-ontology-reference

There's more information on the Protégé wiki at:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/How_Owl_Imports_Work

//JT
--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
Dear Joshua,

thanks for this hint.
I'll try to import the qudt ontology.

But it seems I haven't understood the use of prefix mapping, yet. I thought, using foreign concepts works by mapping the prefix to the URI (namespace) of the foreign ontology.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Mate Matic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But it seems I haven't understood the use of prefix mapping, yet. I thought,
> using foreign concepts works by mapping the prefix to the URI (namespace) of
> the foreign ontology.

Prefixes just make it easier to read and write URIs.  Ontologies are
sets of axioms that describe how certain URIs are used.  If I define
dbpedia-owl: as a prefix for http://dbpedia.org/ontology/ then it's
easy to write http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Film as dbpedia-owl:Film,
but that's just writing the URI more conveniently.  To get the axioms
about that class, I'd still need to import an ontology that includes
the declaration axiom that says that dbpedia-owl:Film *is* an an
owl:Class.

//JT

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
Ok, but when do I need/use the prefixes like dbpedia-owl:Film?
If I've imported an ontology, I can deal with its concepts and properties without prefixes.
And when no import is made the prefix table doesn't work.

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

samsontu
Hi,

Ontology prefixes are shorthands for writing URIs. They are irrelevant to the importing problem you have.

It seems that QUDT ontologies are inconsistent as OWL 2 ontologies. You can’t import them into your ontology without making the combined ontology  inconsistent. I think your options are

1. Contact the developers of QUDT and have them make their ontologies consistent.
2. Use something like the the MERIOT approach [1] to extract a minimal subset of QUDT concepts and relationships (that’s consistent) and import them into your ontology.

With best regards,
Samson

On Jul 23, 2014, at 3:39 PM, Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Ontology prefixes are shorthands for writing URIs. They are irrelevant to the importing problem you have.

It seems that QUDT ontologies are inconsistent as OWL 2 ontologies. You can’t import them into your ontology without making the combined ontology  inconsistent. I think your options are

1. Contact the developers of QUDT and have them make their ontologies consistent.
2. Use something like the the MERIOT approach [1] to extract a minimal subset of QUDT concepts and relationships (that’s consistent) and import them into your ontology.

A third option, which may be the best, given the state of QUDT, is to find another unit-of-measure ontology. Do a google search with “unit of measure ontology” and you’ll find several.

With best regards,
Samson

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
This post was updated on .
Samson, thanks a lot for your tips.
I will follow your third option and look for other ontologies of unit of measurement together with physical quantities.

Thanks for the link.

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
I'd like to use the OM-1 ontology to refer physical quantities and units of measurement.
How do I refer a physical quantity respectively a numeric value (or interval) together with a unit of measure like 24 g/m³ to one of my concepts, i.e. copper or plastics?

In the OM-1 ontology both the desired unit and the quantity exist as an individual: "gram per cubic centimeter" and "density".

I really don't know how to start with this.

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Steve Wartik
I suggest you use the contact information for the OM ontology for an answer to this question. I've found them very responsive.

<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4661053/Screenshot_-_Individuals.png>

I really don't know how to start with this.

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Mate Matic
Hello Steven,

I tried both e-mail adresses mentioned on the OM website. But unfortunately, I didn't get any response till this day.
I've found out how to link a numerical value together with an unit of measure to one of my concepts, i.e. water hast a density of 1 gram per cubic centimetre.
If I've understood aright you dealt with that OM ontology, too. Can you explain why the data type property numerical value has the range string?
As I've read in the OM paper they created this data type property to link a number (interger or float) to a measure. I want to use queries and rules later. So I have to find concepts oder individuals by its physical attributes (i.e. density). So, the numerical value of a quantity should be real number, not a string, shouldn't it?

Best Regards
Mate

Re: How to use concepts from external ontologies

Alan Ruttenberg-2
You can use the MIREOT approach to pull in a portion of those ontologies that you need, with or without their axioms. See the paper MIREOT: The minimum information to reference an external ontology term

There are 2 accessible tools that import terms based on that strategy that I know of

http://ontofox.hegroup.org - lots of people have used this one
A protege plugin described here: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-914/paper_48.pdf  - I can't vouch for it, but it might work.

There are some other documentation links here: http://obi-ontology.org/page/MIREOT

If you like to program you might also have a look at the module extractor from the OWLAPI.

-Alan

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:55 AM, Mate Matic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Patrick Pete

Sent from my iPhone