Import instances from XML in a OWL project

Import instances from XML in a OWL project

Massimo Coletti
Hi,

I have a kb based on OWL-DL, and I would like to create some individuals
reading their names and properties from an XML file.

I have seen that XML tab and other similar plugins are not supported any
more. Is there some tool that I am not aware of?

Thanks,

Massimo Coletti

Re: Import instances from XML in a OWL project

Tania Tudorache
Hi Massimo,

the XMLTab is not supported by the author anymore, but it is still a
good option for importing the individuals from XML. However, XMLTab has
been developed for Protege Frames and it was not tested with ProtegeOWL,
so you could try to import the individuals in a Frames project (.pins
and .pons backend) and then convert the project to OWL.
Another option is the XMLBackend
(http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/xmlbackend_xu/index.html). Sorry
that the link was broken on the XMLTab, we'll fix that.

If none of this work, you could try to write a XSLT that takes as input
your XML file and outputs an OWL file with the individuals. You could
also google for xsd/xml -> owl converters and see if you can use one of
them.

Tania

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a kb based on OWL-DL, and I would like to create some
> individuals reading their names and properties from an XML file.
>
> I have seen that XML tab and other similar plugins are not supported
> any more. Is there some tool that I am not aware of?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Massimo Coletti

Re: Import instances from XML in a OWL project

Massimo Coletti
Thanks Tania,

I will test the XML tab, but I haven't been able to import an XML file
until now, maybe it should have the same format (<ontology> root
element, etc.) used for export. My situation is more complex, a complete
description can be found here:
http://www.mcoletti.net/dev/iskb/iskb_study.html

I need to import instances as part of a bigger ontology, with some level
of modularization; perhaps, as you suggest, the best approach is to use
XSLT to transform my source data as a standalone OWL file, and then
include this file in the global model.

Cheers,

Massimo

Tania Tudorache ha scritto:

> Hi Massimo,
>
> the XMLTab is not supported by the author anymore, but it is still a
> good option for importing the individuals from XML. However, XMLTab
> has been developed for Protege Frames and it was not tested with
> ProtegeOWL, so you could try to import the individuals in a Frames
> project (.pins and .pons backend) and then convert the project to OWL.
> Another option is the XMLBackend
> (http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/xmlbackend_xu/index.html). Sorry
> that the link was broken on the XMLTab, we'll fix that.
>
> If none of this work, you could try to write a XSLT that takes as
> input your XML file and outputs an OWL file with the individuals. You
> could also google for xsd/xml -> owl converters and see if you can use
> one of them.
>
> Tania
>

> Massimo Coletti wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a kb based on OWL-DL, and I would like to create some
>> individuals reading their names and properties from an XML file.
>>
>> I have seen that XML tab and other similar plugins are not supported
>> any more. Is there some tool that I am not aware of?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Massimo Coletti

Re: Import instances from XML in a OWL project

Tania Tudorache
Massimo,

importing with XMLTab is pretty straightforward, although it may not be
very intuitive. You have to select an ontology in the "instances" text
field, not in the "ontology", and then click "import >>". You should try
to import in a Frames project and then convert it to OWL.

Good luck!
Tania