Import to Relational Database

Dina Luvishis
Hello!
I know that this question was asked here several times, but I couldn't find
satisfying answer. We have ontology in MS SQL server (categories,
subcategories, properties of categories - equivalents of slots etc with
instances of items within each category).
I'd like to use Protege+OWL + reasoner to modify existing ontology and then
transfer it back to MS SQL on a batch basis.
Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Java, .Net is my language. So I
was wondering what is the best way to implement it if this is not one-time task
but on the other hand those modifications will be done on a pretty regular
basis.
Thanks in a advance,
Dina.

Re: Import to Relational Database

Nick Drummond
Hi,

I really don't have any experience of this, but have you tried the
DataGenie Tab [1] ?
Also, it might be worth posting the message (without the word OWL) to
the protege-discussion list as there may be more expertise from the
core system.

Sorry I can't be more use.

Nick

[1] http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/datagenie/

On 3 May 2006, at 22:59, Dina Luvishis wrote:

> Hello!
> I know that this question was asked here several times, but I
> couldn't find
> satisfying answer. We have ontology in MS SQL server (categories,
> subcategories, properties of categories - equivalents of slots etc
> with
> instances of items within each category).
> I'd like to use Protege+OWL + reasoner to modify existing ontology
> and then
> transfer it back to MS SQL on a batch basis.
> Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Java, .Net is my
> language. So I
> was wondering what is the best way to implement it if this is not
> one-time task
> but on the other hand those modifications will be done on a pretty
> regular
> basis.
> Thanks in a advance,
> Dina.

Re: Import to Relational Database

Tania Tudorache
Dina,

have you stored the ontology in a MSSQL DB with your own schema, or
using Protege's "RDF/OWL Database" backend?

If you have stored it using your own schema, than you will have more
work to do: first, you need a way to load the ontology into Protege. You
can do that by writing a create project plugin
(http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/createproject_plugin.html).
Or, you can write your own program that uses the Protege OWL API to
create the ontology in Protege.

Then, you do reasoning or whatever you need with the ontology, and you
have to export it back to your database. You can do that by writing an
export plugin
(http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/export_plugin.html).

This is the hard way, because you need to write all this code especially
if you need to do these operations several times.

A better way would be to store your ontology in Protege database format.
You have to do a one-time export of your ontology into Protege database
format, and then you don't have to worry about this anymore. If you want
to do batch operations, you can encapsulate several operations in a
transaction and either all of them succeed or none of them. But, I must
warn you, transaction support is still under testing here.

Or, another solution would be to write a database backend
(http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/backend.html) and handle
the storage and calls to the database in any way you want. But, this is
the solution that requires most effort.

Unfortunately, almost everything I described here requires Java
programming. I have no experience with .net, and  I don't know if there
is any way to interface .net and Java.

Tania