Importing into a specific point in taxonomy

Importing into a specific point in taxonomy

lukasw
Hey all,

I would like to import various already existing ontologies into a new
ontology. Ideally, I would be able to import the ontological concepts into a
specific point in the already existing taxonomy. Initial reserach leads me
to believe that this is not really possible - Is anyone aware of a
workaround for this?

The reason for my question is that if I am not able to "sort" my imports,
the ontology taxonomy becomes extremely cluttered with only indirectly
relevant stuff, especially when the imported ontology has a large number of
top-level classes. For example, for a pizza ontology, I would like to import
knowledge about herbs. This knowledge should probably not be a top level
concept in the class hierarchy view, but probably sorted somewhere into
"Pizza Topping" -> "Herb Topping", or even just "Related Domain" -> "Herb
Domain".

Best regards
Lukas

Re: Importing into a specific point in taxonomy

marksem
Hi Lukas,

Positioning concepts at a certain point in an existing class hierarchy is achieved via sub-classing, not importing.

If you import an Herb ontology (with top-most class of "Herb"), and then assert that the Herb class is a subclass of the "Pizza Topping" class, you would probably get the taxonomy positioning you are looking for.

 -Mark

Re: Importing into a specific point in taxonomy

lukasw
Hi Mark,

what an obvious answer, I should have tried that before posting. Thank you
so much!

Best regards
Lukas