Individual as a member of several classes?

Individual as a member of several classes?

Joel1504
Hello,

In my ontology, I have 3 classes for which it is necessary, that one individual can be a member of all classes. The concepts "Artist", "Person", and "Musician" are necessary to describe the different roles.

e.g. an individual of "Artist", say "The Rolling Stones" hasMember of the "Person"-class: "Mick Jagger". The class "Musician" is for the case that one Person plays different instruments (and might be a member of different bands).

I now have the following problem: I have an Individual of "Artist" called "Maceo Parker" , who is also an Individual of "Person" and "Musician". For this (and similar) case(s) the classes are NOT disjoint from each other. But still I cannot name the individuals in the different classes the same. Protégé states "invalid name".

Thanks a lot for help!

Joel

Re: Individual as a member of several classes?

Almut Herzog
Joel1504 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In my ontology, I have 3 classes for which it is necessary, that one
> individual can be a member of all classes. The concepts "Artist", "Person",
> and "Musician" are necessary to describe the different roles.
>
> e.g. an individual of "Artist", say "The Rolling Stones" hasMember of the
> "Person"-class: "Mick Jagger". The class "Musician" is for the case that one
> Person plays different instruments (and might be a member of different
> bands).
>
> I now have the following problem: I have an Individual of "Artist" called
> "Maceo Parker" , who is also an Individual of "Person" and "Musician". For
> this (and similar) case(s) the classes are NOT disjoint from each other. But
> still I cannot name the individuals in the different classes the same.
> Protégé states "invalid name".

You do not create several individuals with the same name but you add
another parent class to an existing individual.

In Protege 3.2, go to the Individual tab and browse to "Maceo Parker".
In the "Asserted Types" pane, you will already see "Artist", now with
the plus button you add the classes "Person" and "Musician". Voilà!

/Almut

Re: Individual as a member of several classes?

Joel1504
That was easy :-) Thanks!

Joel