Individuals User Interface "protege 3.4.8 style"

Individuals User Interface "protege 3.4.8 style"

Gianluigi Loffreda
Hi all,

I’ve just a simple question.
I used Protege 3.4.8 and I developed several ontologies by means of it.
In that version, after the object and data properties domain and range definition process, I was use to go to the Individuals tab and the system was showing only data and object properties “allowed” (defined with domain congruent with the class of the instantiated individual).

With the last protege, I can create a generic individual and then assign to it the type (class) and I was expecting that the system will allow me to associate only data and object properties related to it (by domain definition) while I can associate any object or data properties.

Is there a way to set the previous User Interface or to limit the object or data properties association?

Thanks
Gianluigi
Gianluigi Loffreda

Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)

Re: Individuals User Interface "protege 3.4.8 style"

Tania Tudorache
Hi Gianluigi,

On 06/19/2014 12:09 PM, Gianluigi Loffreda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’ve just a simple question.
> I used Protege 3.4.8 and I developed several ontologies by means of it.
> In that version, after the object and data properties domain and range definition process, I was use to go to the Individuals tab and the system was showing only data and object properties “allowed” (defined with domain congruent with the class of the instantiated individual).
>
> With the last protege, I can create a generic individual and then assign to it the type (class) and I was expecting that the system will allow me to associate only data and object properties related to it (by domain definition) while I can associate any object or data properties.
>
> Is there a way to set the previous User Interface or to limit the object or data properties association?

No, there isn't. The "allowed" values for a property in Protege 3 were
there because Protege 3 was not a pure OWL system, but it was based on
Frames, a different formalism. The old Protege 3 UI, did provided indeed
a more convenient way of editing individuals and their property values,
but it was overly constraining. In OWL, if you have, for example, a
property "hasFather" with range "Person", and for individual "Mary" you
assert that "hasFather" is "John" (which is an untyped individual), it
will be inferred that "John" has type "Person". So, it is totally fine
to assign "unallowed" values (that are not part of the range) to a
property. It might be the case that you will get an inconsistent
ontology, but the explanation support can help you find the problem.

If you are editing individuals, I would suggest to do it in WebProtege
(http://webprotege.stanford.edu), which has a much nicer support for
indviduals than Protege desktop. It is also very easy to go between
Protege desktop and WebProtege. You can download any revision of the
ontology from WebProtege, and work with it in Protege desktop, and then
upload a new version to WebProtege.

Cheers,
Tania

> Thanks
> Gianluigi

Re: Individuals User Interface "protege 3.4.8 style"

Gianluigi Loffreda
Hi Tania,

first of all, thank you.

I knew that protege3 was based on Frames (I followed the entire Protege evolution since it started).
I love this 4 version (I’m still working on it, and not in 5) but I was hoping on a “frames style version” for “final users” in order to ask them to fill individual with data content (comments, values in data properties and so on).

I’ll try to explain them how to work with the 4 version.

Many thanks,

Gianluigi

> Hi Gianluigi,
>
> On 06/19/2014 12:09 PM, Gianluigi Loffreda wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’ve just a simple question.
>> I used Protege 3.4.8 and I developed several ontologies by means of it.
>> In that version, after the object and data properties domain and range definition process, I was use to go to the Individuals tab and the system was showing only data and object properties “allowed” (defined with domain congruent with the class of the instantiated individual).
>>
>> With the last protege, I can create a generic individual and then assign to it the type (class) and I was expecting that the system will allow me to associate only data and object properties related to it (by domain definition) while I can associate any object or data properties.
>>
>> Is there a way to set the previous User Interface or to limit the object or data properties association?
>
> No, there isn't. The "allowed" values for a property in Protege 3 were there because Protege 3 was not a pure OWL system, but it was based on Frames, a different formalism. The old Protege 3 UI, did provided indeed a more convenient way of editing individuals and their property values, but it was overly constraining. In OWL, if you have, for example, a property "hasFather" with range "Person", and for individual "Mary" you assert that "hasFather" is "John" (which is an untyped individual), it will be inferred that "John" has type "Person". So, it is totally fine to assign "unallowed" values (that are not part of the range) to a property. It might be the case that you will get an inconsistent ontology, but the explanation support can help you find the problem.
>
> If you are editing individuals, I would suggest to do it in WebProtege (http://webprotege.stanford.edu), which has a much nicer support for indviduals than Protege desktop. It is also very easy to go between Protege desktop and WebProtege. You can download any revision of the ontology from WebProtege, and work with it in Protege desktop, and then upload a new version to WebProtege.
>
> Cheers,
> Tania
>

>> Thanks
>> Gianluigi
Gianluigi Loffreda

Sapienza University of Rome (Italy)

Re: Individuals User Interface "protege 3.4.8 style"

Tania Tudorache
For end users, I would really recommend WebProtege over Protege 4/5
desktop. The UI of WebProtege is intentionally simplified for end users,
and the editing is so much smoother and easier, especially for
individuals. You can give it a try. You would also get many other
extras, like complete change tracking, comments/discussions, a
collaborative environment, and no installation :)

We also have some screencasts, if you would like to learn more about it:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/WebProtegeUsersGuide

As we are focusing our efforts more on WebProtege, it is not likely that
we will create a P3-like editor for Protege 5. We do have forms support
(like P3) with the constraining functionality in WebProtege
(http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PropertyFormPortlet)

Good luck!
Tania

On 06/19/2014 02:12 PM, Gianluigi Loffreda wrote:

> Hi Tania,
>
> first of all, thank you.
>
> I knew that protege3 was based on Frames (I followed the entire Protege evolution since it started).
> I love this 4 version (I’m still working on it, and not in 5) but I was hoping on a “frames style version” for “final users” in order to ask them to fill individual with data content (comments, values in data properties and so on).
>
> I’ll try to explain them how to work with the 4 version.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Gianluigi
>

>> Hi Gianluigi,
>>
>> On 06/19/2014 12:09 PM, Gianluigi Loffreda wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I’ve just a simple question.
>>> I used Protege 3.4.8 and I developed several ontologies by means of it.
>>> In that version, after the object and data properties domain and range definition process, I was use to go to the Individuals tab and the system was showing only data and object properties “allowed” (defined with domain congruent with the class of the instantiated individual).
>>>
>>> With the last protege, I can create a generic individual and then assign to it the type (class) and I was expecting that the system will allow me to associate only data and object properties related to it (by domain definition) while I can associate any object or data properties.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to set the previous User Interface or to limit the object or data properties association?
>> No, there isn't. The "allowed" values for a property in Protege 3 were there because Protege 3 was not a pure OWL system, but it was based on Frames, a different formalism. The old Protege 3 UI, did provided indeed a more convenient way of editing individuals and their property values, but it was overly constraining. In OWL, if you have, for example, a property "hasFather" with range "Person", and for individual "Mary" you assert that "hasFather" is "John" (which is an untyped individual), it will be inferred that "John" has type "Person". So, it is totally fine to assign "unallowed" values (that are not part of the range) to a property. It might be the case that you will get an inconsistent ontology, but the explanation support can help you find the problem.
>>
>> If you are editing individuals, I would suggest to do it in WebProtege (http://webprotege.stanford.edu), which has a much nicer support for indviduals than Protege desktop. It is also very easy to go between Protege desktop and WebProtege. You can download any revision of the ontology from WebProtege, and work with it in Protege desktop, and then upload a new version to WebProtege.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tania
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gianluigi