Infer of individuals

Marc Hebben
Hello everybody,

I am new to OWL and Protege and just trying some basic examples. So
excuse my maybe stupid questions. But I found no answer somewhere else.

What I defined is a class named "Person" and a subclass of "Person"
named "Man". I created three instances of "Man". These three instances
are of type "Man" but not of type "Person". Why that?

An instance of type "Man" (for example John) should also be inferred as
an instance of type "Person" because "Man" is a subclass of "Person".
Right? or Wrong?

Thx for your help.
--

Best regards

Marc Hebben

Re: Infer of individuals

Lorenz Buehmann
Hello Marc,

you have to enable a so called reasoner, which makes implicit facts
explicitly visible.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

--
Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Infer of individuals

Marc Hebben
Oh yes. I just forgot to say, that I reasoned with Hermit and Pellet.

On 28.10.2015 13:22, Lorenz Bühmann wrote:
Hello Marc,

you have to enable a so called reasoner, which makes implicit facts explicitly visible.

Kind regards,
Lorenz

Hello everybody,

I am new to OWL and Protege and just trying some basic examples. So excuse my maybe stupid questions. But I found no answer somewhere else.

What I defined is a class named "Person" and a subclass of "Person" named "Man". I created three instances of "Man". These three instances are of type "Man" but not of type "Person". Why that?

An instance of type "Man" (for example John) should also be inferred as an instance of type "Person" because "Man" is a subclass of "Person". Right? or Wrong?

Thx for your help.

--

Marc Hebben [hidden email]

WedaCon Informationstechnologien GmbH
Office: +49 (251) 399 678-34
Fax: +49 (251) 399 678-50
Mobile: +49 (157) 7 1987 434
Kroegerweg 29 D-48155 Muenster
http://www.wedacon.net

Amtsgericht Muenster HRB 6115
USt.-ID: DE216758544
StNr.: 336/5775/1487
Geschaeftsfuehrender Gesellschafter: Thorsten H. Niebuhr

family.owl (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Infer of individuals

Ralph Schäfermeier
Hi Marc,

Are you using one of the Protégé 5 beta versions? I had the same question a couple of days ago and asked it on the Protégé dev list. Matthew, the chief developer explained that as of version 5, Protégé will only display direct instances of a class.

If you open your ontology in Protégé 4.3 and start a reasoner, you will see Bill and Jack appear in the members view of the class Person.

What neither Protégé 4 or 5 show, however, are the inferred types in the individuals tab. But this is just a display issue (I think it works that way intentionally to avoid clutter, but I am not sure).

So you are right, and Protégé just does not display all inferred facts.

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Schäfermeier

Freie Universität Berlin
Institute of Computer Science
Königin-Luise-Str. 24/26, room 116
14195 Berlin
Germany

Am 28.10.2015 um 13:49 schrieb Marc Hebben <[hidden email]>:

[...]

<family.owl>_______________________________________________

Re: Infer of individuals

Csongor Nyulas-2
Administrator
Hi Marc,

As Matthew explained it to Ralph here (although Ralph's question referred to a little bit more complicated scenario):
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-5-and-class-disjunction-tt4663740.html#a4663751
1) There was a change in Protege 5 to show in the class Description view only the direct instances (both asserted and inferred), but no indirect inferred instances (for more details on this topic you can take a look at github issue 109: https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues/109), and
2) You can use the "DL Query" tab to list the inferred instances of a class.

I wanted to suggest that there is another, more direct, way to see inferred instance, by using the "Instances (inferred)" view (selectable from the Window -> Views -> Individual Views -> Instances (inferred) menu), but to my surprise, this does not seem to be working at the moment either. This seems to me as a bug, and I reported an issue here:
https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues/267

Csongor

On 10/28/2015 08:13 AM, Ralph Schäfermeier wrote:
[...]

Hi Csongor,

thanks for your answer. The approach using the DL query tab works fine. And of course thanks for reporting this bug.