Inference about the propertie's domains and ranges

Inference about the propertie's domains and ranges

Paulo Urbano
In OWL we are told that given
1)
Class X is domain of property P
a P b (a is the subject of property P and b is the object )
------------------------------
we should infer that a is an instance of X

2)
Class Y is range of property P
a P b (a is the subject of property P and b is the object )
------------------------------
we should infer that b is an instance of Y

3)
X subclass Y
X domain of property P
----------------------------------
we should infer Y domain of P

But in Protégé 4.3 that does not happen if we apply the reasoners

Regards
Paulo Urbano

Re: Inference about the propertie's domains and ranges

Joshua TAYLOR
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Paulo Urbano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 3)
> X subclass Y
> X domain of property P
> ----------------------------------
> we should infer Y domain of P
>
> But in Protégé 4.3 that does not happen if we apply the reasoners

Did you go to the Reasoner > Configure… menu and check the Display
Object Property Inferences: Domains and Ranges items?

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: Inference about the propertie's domains and ranges

Timothy Redmond

3)
X subclass Y
X domain of property P
----------------------------------
we should infer Y domain of P

But in Protégé 4.3 that does not happen if we apply the reasoners

With Protege it is possible to see that this inference is made but you have to know how to phrase the question.  It is not clear to me that there is a natural place to display such an inference.

To see that Protege (or more precisely the reasoner running inside Protege) knows this, do the following:
  • Create an ontology with the classes X, Y and p as described above.
  • Start the reasoner.
  • In the DL Query tab, enter the expression "p some Thing"
  • Make sure that "Super classes" is selected and click execute.

You should then see X, Y and Thing as super classes of "p some Thing".  These are the named classes that satisfy Z domain p.

This does require knowing that "Z domain p" is the same as "(p some Thing) subClassOf Z".

-Timothy