Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Bridget Beamon
I want to integrate Pellet with my P4 install.

I installed P4 build 113, but I do not see Pellet under the "Reasoner" menu.

I attempted to follow the instructions at:http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege

However, when I clicked "Check for downloads now".  I got the box with
msg: "No downloads available at this time."

My plugin registry is set to the default value:
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/*checkout*/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk/plugins.repository

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

samsontu
I just copied the pelet jar file from Protege 4 beta to Protege 4
release plugin directory.

Samson

Bridget Beamon wrote:

> I want to integrate Pellet with my P4 install.
>
> I installed P4 build 113, but I do not see Pellet under the "Reasoner" menu.
>
> I attempted to follow the instructions at:http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege
>
> However, when I clicked "Check for downloads now".  I got the box with
> msg: "No downloads available at this time."
>
> My plugin registry is set to the default value:
> http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/*checkout*/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk/plugins.repository
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Samson Tu                                   email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist                   web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research  phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University                         fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Jennifer Vendetti
Hello Bridget,

Bridget Beamon wrote:
> I want to integrate Pellet with my P4 install.  I installed P4 build 113, but I do not see Pellet under the "Reasoner" menu.  I attempted to follow the instructions at:http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege.  However, when I clicked "Check for downloads now".  I got the box with msg: "No downloads available at this time."

I can't reproduce this.  Did you perhaps install build 113 on top of an
older build?  If so, could you please do a clean reinstall and see if
you can reproduce this behavior?  Also, what operating system are you using?

On a related note, a quicker way to check for downloads (than what is
described on the Pellet website) is to choose File | Check for
plugins..., which will bring up the Automatic Update dialog with the
Downloads tab selected.

Jennifer

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Bridget Beamon
Thanks for replying.

I reinstalled with the same results.

When I select File |Check for plugins.  I get the dialog box that says "No additional plugins/ update available at this time.

I downloaded Protege for Windows from this link:
http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/installanywhere/

I'm using Java 1.6 in Windows XP.

My Protege "plugin" folder only has the following 5 files:

org.coode.dlquery.jar

org.coode.owlviz.jar

org.protege.editor.owl.jar

org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar

uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar

The "bundles" folder has 4 files:
org.eclipse.equinox.common.jar
org.eclipse.equinox.registry.jar
org.protege.common.jar
org.protege.editor.core.application.jar

So, there is no pellet.  Also, I don't believe I have all the jars needed to write a standalone program using the protege-owl api.  I've downloaded the OWL API separately for writing the standalone program.  I was hoping to use the protege jars.

Do I need to download and compile the source to get all the jars?

-Bridget
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Bridget,

Bridget Beamon wrote:
[...]

Administrator
Bridget Beamon wrote:
> Thanks for replying.  I reinstalled with the same results.  When I
> select File |Check for plugins.  I get the dialog box that says "No
> additional plugins/ update available at this time.  I downloaded
> Protege for Windows from this link:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/installanywhere/.
> I'm using Java 1.6 in Windows XP.

Hmm.  I tested the 4.0 release on XP with Java 1.6 and still can't
reproduce.  Could you please check that you can access the following two
URLs outside of Protege:

http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/*checkout*/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk/plugins.repository
http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege/plugin/update.properties

> Also, I don't believe I have all the jars needed to write a standalone
> program using the protege-owl api.  I've downloaded the OWL API
> separately for writing the standalone program.  I was hoping to use
> the protege jars.

Why do you say that you don't think you have all the JARs?  Are you
getting some kind of compilation errors?

> Do I need to download and compile the source to get all the jars?

No, you can just use the JARs from the plugins directory in your
existing installation.  You also don't need to download the OWL API
separately, because it's included with your installation in
/plugins/org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Bridget Beamon
I can reach the links.

What I mean by not having all the jars is this:
There is reasoning API at http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeReasonerAPI.  I attempted the examples but didn’t have all the jars. I can’t find edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference package to locate ProtegeReasoner & ReasonerManager.

My Protege "plugin" folder only has the following 5 files:org.coode.dlquery.jar, org.coode.owlviz.jar, org.protege.editor.owl.jar, org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar, uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar

I think there should be more.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bridget Beamon wrote:
[...]

Rinke Hoekstra-4
Dear Bridget,

The Protege Reasoner API is to be used with Protege 3.4, not Protege 4.

-Rinke

On 17 jul 2009, at 03:43, Bridget Beamon wrote:

> I can reach the links.
>
> What I mean by not having all the jars is this:
> There is reasoning API at http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeReasonerAPI
> .  I attempted the examples but didn’t have all the jars. I can’t
> find edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference package to locate
> ProtegeReasoner & ReasonerManager.
>
> My Protege "plugin" folder only has the following 5
> files:org.coode.dlquery.jar, org.coode.owlviz.jar,
> org.protege.editor.owl.jar, org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar,
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
>
> I think there should be more.
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Bridget Beamon wrote:
> Thanks for replying.  I reinstalled with the same results.  When I
> select File |Check for plugins.  I get the dialog box that says "No
> additional plugins/ update available at this time.  I downloaded
> Protege for Windows from this link: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/installanywhere/
> .  I'm using Java 1.6 in Windows XP.
>
> Hmm.  I tested the 4.0 release on XP with Java 1.6 and still can't
> reproduce.  Could you please check that you can access the following
> two URLs outside of Protege:
>

> http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/*checkout*/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk/plugins.repository
> http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege/plugin/update.properties
>

> Also, I don't believe I have all the jars needed to write a
> standalone program using the protege-owl api.  I've downloaded the
> OWL API separately for writing the standalone program.  I was hoping
> to use the protege jars.
>
> Why do you say that you don't think you have all the JARs?  Are you
> getting some kind of compilation errors?
>

> Do I need to download and compile the source to get all the jars?
>
> No, you can just use the JARs from the plugins directory in your
> existing installation.  You also don't need to download the OWL API
> separately, because it's included with your installation in /plugins/
> org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Jennifer

---
Drs Rinke Hoekstra

Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
[hidden email]             |  [hidden email]

Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Rinke Hoekstra-4
Dear Bridget,

Some more information

On 17 jul 2009, at 03:43, Bridget Beamon wrote:
> What I mean by not having all the jars is this:
> There is reasoning API at http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeReasonerAPI
> .  I attempted the examples but didn’t have all the jars. I can’t
> find edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.inference package to locate
> ProtegeReasoner & ReasonerManager.

This doesn't work for the reason I gave in my previous email.

> My Protege "plugin" folder only has the following 5
> files:org.coode.dlquery.jar, org.coode.owlviz.jar,
> org.protege.editor.owl.jar, org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar,
> uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus.jar
>
> I think there should be more.

No, there shouldn't. Unless you want to use the Pellet reasoner.

You can either download the (stand alone) pellet distribution from the http://clarkparsia.com/pellet
  website, or use the Pellet plugin for Protege 4. You should be able
to download this plugin from the 'Check for plugins...' dialog. If
this doesn't work, there is probably a (corporate? local?) firewall
that prevents Protege 4 from accessing the plugin repository.

(checking the links via a browser as Jennifer suggests doesn't detect
this, as browsers tend to have access to port 80)

-Rinke

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Bridget Beamon wrote:
> Thanks for replying.  I reinstalled with the same results.  When I
> select File |Check for plugins.  I get the dialog box that says "No
> additional plugins/ update available at this time.  I downloaded
> Protege for Windows from this link: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/installanywhere/
> .  I'm using Java 1.6 in Windows XP.
>
> Hmm.  I tested the 4.0 release on XP with Java 1.6 and still can't
> reproduce.  Could you please check that you can access the following
> two URLs outside of Protege:
>

> http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/*checkout*/protege4/protege-standalone/trunk/plugins.repository
> http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/protege/plugin/update.properties
>

> Also, I don't believe I have all the jars needed to write a
> standalone program using the protege-owl api.  I've downloaded the
> OWL API separately for writing the standalone program.  I was hoping
> to use the protege jars.
>
> Why do you say that you don't think you have all the JARs?  Are you
> getting some kind of compilation errors?
>

> Do I need to download and compile the source to get all the jars?
>
> No, you can just use the JARs from the plugins directory in your
> existing installation.  You also don't need to download the OWL API
> separately, because it's included with your installation in /plugins/
> org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Jennifer

---
Drs Rinke Hoekstra

Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
[hidden email]             |  [hidden email]

Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Re: Integrating Pellet in Protege 4

Nick Drummond
Bridget,

Are you still having problems with pellet?

NIck

PS All developer docs for Protege 4 are on [1]. Everything else is for Protege 3

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege4DevDocs

2009/7/17 Rinke Hoekstra <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> getting some kind of compilation errors?
>>

>> Do I need to download and compile the source to get all the jars?
>>
>> No, you can just use the JARs from the plugins directory in your existing
>> installation.  You also don't need to download the OWL API separately,
>> because it's included with your installation in
>> /plugins/org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>

>> Jennifer
>

> ---
> Drs Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
> Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
> Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
> Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
> 1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
> +31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
> [hidden email]             |  [hidden email]

I'm ok now.  I installed Protege 4 on another machine and was able to download the Pellet plugin successfully. I then took the jar and put it in the plugin folder of the first machine.  So, pellet works now.  I still don't understand why when I check for plugins in the first machine it says :"No additional plugins/ updates available at this time."  However, on the second machine, there are loads of plugins available.

thanks