Inverse slots

Wells, Robert R.
I am using Protégé 3.0 Build 141.

I have established 2 classes: Capability and ValueDimension

I have created two properties as slots: Characterizes and isCharacterizedBy.

Characterizes has domain of ValueDimension and range of Capability.

isCharacterizedBy has domain of Capability and range of ValueDimension.

I have no instances yet of either Capability or ValueDimension.

I have tried in both slots to declare an inverse property but am advised nothing exists to do this.

What am I doing wrong?  Must I have instances first?  Can I declare the inverse "globally"?

Thanks for your attention.

Bob

Re: Inverse slots

Daniel L Rubin

You don't need instances to give a slot an inverse. You simply set the
inverse slot value on that slot to the desired slot. If you "view top level
slot" and make the change there, you will make the change globally; if you
"view at class" then the inverse only will apply to the slot attached to
the class. Once you set the inverse slot, all new instances will
automatically have the inverse slot value set, but no existing instances
will have the value set.
Daniel

Quoting "Wells, Robert R." <[hidden email]>:

> I am using Protégé 3.0 Build 141.
>
> I have established 2 classes: Capability and ValueDimension
>
> I have created two properties as slots: Characterizes and
> isCharacterizedBy.
>
> Characterizes has domain of ValueDimension and range of Capability.
>
> isCharacterizedBy has domain of Capability and range of ValueDimension.
>
> I have no instances yet of either Capability or ValueDimension.
>
> I have tried in both slots to declare an inverse property but am advised
> nothing exists to do this.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Must I have instances first?  Can I declare the
> inverse "globally"?
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Bob

PROMPT

David Corsar

Hi Folks

I've been trying to use Prompt to extract classes, slots and instances
from one ontology and add it to my current project: I choose the class,
select subclasses, instances, superclasses, everything related, press
"do it" but nothing happens.  I have this problem with Protege 3.1 and
Protege 3.1.1.  Is any one else having this problem - it works fine in
Protege 3.0.

Regards

David Corsar