Is it possible to infer new knowledge about an ontology only from a query in SPARQL?

Is it possible to infer new knowledge about an ontology only from a query in SPARQL?

mpuebla

 Hello:

Is it possible to infer new knowledge about an ontology only from a query in SPARQL?

I have a question about the use of the SPARQL language about ontologies. So far I have thought that SPARQL is the equivalent to the SQL language in the relational databases, that is to say, that with SPARQL it is only possible to consult the data that are explicitly in the ontology, without having access to the data that can be inferred , leaving the responsibility of the inference to the reasoners.

However, I have read documents from which I infer that SPARQL does have the capacity to infer implicit and non-explicit knowledge in the ontology. Is my inference true? That is, is it possible to infer knowledge through a SPARQL query without the need for a reasoner? If the answer is true, then what advantages does the use of a reasoner have over the use of SPARQL?

Greetings, Manuel Puebla.

Re: Is it possible to infer new knowledge about an ontology only from a query in SPARQL?

Ghislain ATEMEZING
Hi Manuel,
Short answer: YES!! You can use SPARQL query to do some inferences in an ontology. Generall, any IF-THEN rule can be rewritten using CONTRUCT {} queries in SPARQL.
Regarding the advantage over a reasoner: All depends on your use case, the size of the ontology, time execution constraints, the application, the OWL 2 profile of your ontology, etc. Sometimes, you might need to combine both (kind of trade-off)

HTH
Best,
Ghislain

Le mer. 5 déc. 2018 à 17:15, Manuel Enrique Puebla Martinez <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Hello:

[...]

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)

Re: Is it possible to infer new knowledge about an ontology only from a query in SPARQL?

Martin O'Connor-2

Note that if you are using OWL the SWRL rule language may prove useful:

The SWLTab plugin (which is prepackaged with Protege 5) provides SWRL capabilities:

Martin