Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Paulo Urbano
Hi

I am having problems with the model of

Three houses in a row, from left to right: H1 --- H2 --- H3.
H2 is immediately on the right of H1
H3 is immediately on the right of H2
H1 is not on the righy of any house.
No one is on the right of H3.
To be immediately on the right is to be on the right,
If A is on the right of B and B is on the right of C then A is on the right of C (transitivity)
No house in on the right or immediately on the right of itself (irreflexity)
No house is on the right of a house which is on the right of the former (asymmetry)

Here is the model:

A closed class House composed of three diffent houses: H1, H2 and H3, defined by enumeration.
An object property immRightOf from House (domain) to House (range), which is assymetrical, irreflexive, functional and inverse functional.
rightOf, is also an object property from House to House;  it is a  superproperty of immRightOf, and it is assymetrical, irreflexive and transitive.

where

H1 is not immediately on the right of any other house
H2 is immediately on the right of H1
H3 is immediately on the right of H2.

But when I define rightOf as transitive along with assymetrical and irreflexive there is na error with Hermit or Pellet.

The owl file is attached

When I activate the reasoner, after initializing it this message appears:

The error on the log is:

Any help is valuable

I am using Protege 5.2.0 for Windows

Best
Paulo Urbano

houses.owl (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Michael DeBellis-2
I think you may have found a bug. First, it seems to me that a relation should be capable of being transitive, irreflexive, and asymmetric. Besides your example, just consider the relation isGreaterThan.  It's transitive (if x > y and y > z then x > z) irreflexive (no number is greater than itself) and asymmetric (if x > y then not  y > x). I just tried declaring a hasPart property in a small test ontology that I have for Car parts to be transitive, irreflexive and asymmetric and got an error from the reasoner (see below). In fact I get the error when I try to declare the hasPart property to be either transitive and just irreflexive or transitive and just asymmetric.

Then I tried something simpler, I declared a new property called foo in another ontology. So the foo property has no domain or range or values at all in the ontology. Then I declared foo to be transitive and irreflexive and then transitive and asymmetric and in both cases the reasoner (Pellet) gave similar error messages as the one below.

Michael

  • Level: ERROR Time: 1524842934988 Message: An error occurred during reasoning: Unsupported axiom: Ignoring transitivity and/or complex subproperty axioms for hasPart. org.mindswap.pellet.exceptions.UnsupportedFeatureException StackTrace: org.mindswap.pellet.RBox.ignoreTransitivity(RBox.java:813) org.mindswap.pellet.RBox.prepare(RBox.java:612) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.prepare(KnowledgeBase.java:1776) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.consistency(KnowledgeBase.java:1969) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.isConsistent(KnowledgeBase.java:2061) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.ensureConsistency(KnowledgeBase.java:2075) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.classify(KnowledgeBase.java:2083) com.clarkparsia.pellet.owlapiv3.PelletReasoner.precomputeInferences(PelletReasoner.java:1067) org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$ClassificationRunner.precompute(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:447) org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$ClassificationRunner.run(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:388) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
  • Level: WARN Time: 1524842934991 Message: Protege terminated reasoner.
  • Level: ERROR Time: 1524842934991 Message: Internal reasoner error: {} org.mindswap.pellet.exceptions.UnsupportedFeatureException StackTrace: org.mindswap.pellet.RBox.ignoreTransitivity(RBox.java:813) org.mindswap.pellet.RBox.prepare(RBox.java:612) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.prepare(KnowledgeBase.java:1776) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.consistency(KnowledgeBase.java:1969) org.mindswap.pellet.KnowledgeBase.isConsistent(KnowledgeBase.java:2061) com.clarkparsia.pellet.owlapiv3.PelletReasoner.isConsistent(PelletReasoner.java:849) org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl.getReasonerStatus(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:272) org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl.lambda$classifyAsynchronously$309(OWLReasonerManagerImpl.java:311) org.protege.editor.owl.model.inference.OWLReasonerManagerImpl$$Lambda$186/549418374.uncaughtException(Unknown Source) java.lang.Thread.dispatchUncaughtException(Thread.java:1952)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Paulo Urbano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

CarExample.owl (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Balhoff, James Patrick
Hi Michael and Paulo,

This section of the OWL spec explains the error:

https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-syntax-20121211/#Global_Restrictions_on_Axioms_in_OWL_2_DL

"This restriction is necessary in order to guarantee decidability of the basic reasoning problems for OWL 2 DL."

Only “simple” properties can be irreflexive or asymmetric. Transitive properties aren’t considered simple. If you’re working with instances, you can use SWRL rules to work around the limitation in some cases.

Best regards,
Jim

> [...]
> rightOf, is also an object property from House to House;  it is a  superproperty of immRightOf, and it is assymetrical, irreflexive and transitive.
>

> where
>
> H1 is not immediately on the right of any other house
> H2 is immediately on the right of H1
> H3 is immediately on the right of H2.
>
> But when I define rightOf as transitive along with assymetrical and irreflexive there is na error with Hermit or Pellet.
>
> The owl file is attached
>
> When I activate the reasoner, after initializing it this message appears:
>
> <image.png>
>
> The error on the log is:
> <image.png>
>
> Any help is valuable
>
> I am using Protege 5.2.0 for Windows
>
> Best
> Paulo Urbano

Re: Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Thanks

I will try SWRL rules to express transitivity...

> [...]

> rightOf, is also an object property from House to House;  it is a  superproperty of immRightOf, and it is assymetrical, irreflexive and transitive.
>

> where
>
> H1 is not immediately on the right of any other house
> H2 is immediately on the right of H1
> H3 is immediately on the right of H2.
>
> But when I define rightOf as transitive along with assymetrical and irreflexive there is na error with Hermit or Pellet.
>
> The owl file is attached
>
> When I activate the reasoner, after initializing it this message appears:
>
> <image.png>
>
> The error on the log is:
> <image.png>
>
> Any help is valuable
>
> I am using Protege 5.2.0 for Windows
>
> Best
> Paulo Urbano

Re: Is transitivity incompatible with irreflexive and asymetrical?

Kaarel Kaljurand
Hi,

maybe helpful: here is an encoding of a similar problem in Attempto
Controlled English

http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/examples/five_houses.ace.txt

It can be automatically converted to OWL (e.g. using
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ape/ with "Guess unknown words" switched
on). It does not use transitivity or other properties of properties.

Best,
Kaarel