KRSS2 - syntax

Ballnat, Stefan

Hello,

I was really glad to see, that Protégé 4 can export OWL-Files in the KRSS format.

Since I use the KRSS syntax myself according to http://dl.kr.org/krss-spec.ps , I was wondering what KRSS2 syntax means. Is it a Protégé advancement? I couldn’t find any documentation to this syntax.

There seems to be a difference to the plain KRSS (which I linked above) and the KRSS2 syntax, especially when I see the exported Statement syntax:

(define-primitive-role composed_of :transitive t :parents(part))

(define-primitive-role temporal_relation :domain Temporal_Occurrence :range Temporal_Occurrence)

In these examples, you find following keywords, which you can’t find in the original KRSS syntax:

:transitive, :parents, :domain, :range

I can guess their semantics, but to me it doesn’t seem to be the classic s-expression syntax any more. Also, statements about the domain, range or transitivity of a role can be done in classic KRSS syntax.

I come to the end:

1)      Is it necessary to have this KRSS2 syntax or couldn’t Protégé support the standard KRSS syntax?

2)      Where can I find the exact definitions of this syntax and its semantic?

- Stefan

Re: KRSS2 - syntax

Nick Drummond
Hi,

We use the renderer provided by the OWL API.
I am not a KRSS expert so I've asked for confirmation from the writer of the renderer and parser which spec they are working from.

Cheers

Nick