Knowtator question

Arno Hartholt

Hi all,

I have a question about the Knowtator plug-in. It lets you associate some piece of natural language with a Protégé class or instance. Unfortunately, if a class has the constraint that you can only use certain instances as slot values, you can fill in the slots of an annotated instance only with already existing *annotation* instances, instead of existing *Protégé* instances. At least, that's what I think. I hope someone can show me otherwise.

What I want to do is annotate a piece of text with a Protégé instance, thus creating an annotation instance. Then, I want to fill in the slots of this annotation instance with already existing Protégé instances (i.e. without the need to create new annotation instances).

Is this possible with the current version of Knowtator? If not, is it planned for a future release or should I develop it myself?

Thanks!

Arno

Re: Knowtator question

Ogren, Philip

Please direct all future questions concerning Knowtator to http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=475914.  I do not monitor the protégé discussion list very closely (this email was forwarded to me.)  Thanks!

The short answer is that yes a plain-old Protégé instance can be the slot value of an 'annotation' instance.  However, the user interface does not support this very well right now even though the underlying representational structure does.

I suggest you try the following:
1) Create a 'text-less' annotation by right-clicking the instance you want to designate as a slot value.  (If you select Knowtator->Show Instances, then the instances for a class selected in the class hierarchy in the upper-left hand corner will appear in the lower-left hand corner.)  Typically, you select a span of text and then right-click a class or instance.  However, it is perfectly fine to skip the span selection.
2) Create your annotation that has the slot you want filled in.
3) Fill the slot in with the 'text-less' annotation created in step one.

Does this work for you?  You will probably want to play around with the 'Display Slot' of your instances so that the display isn't confusing.

I agree that you should be able to click the 'add slot value' button and directly pick an Instance that you want.  However, I have no immediate plans to make this happen at the moment.  There are several issues that relate to the user interface of the 'slot values' of an annotation that I would like to address within the year and I could add your suggestion to this list.

Philip

Re: Knowtator question

Arno Hartholt

Hi Philip,

Thank you for your quick reaction. I posted a follow-up on the mentioned forum.

Arno