Rinke Hoekstra-4
Hi,

They just keep on coming ;)

When loading a corrupt ontology file from the welcome screen, P4 does
not issue a warning and simply redraws the welcome screen. The problem
only becomes apparent when loading an ontology via the file menu
(because then the warning triangle lights up).

Actually, I feel the warning triangle is to subtle and many people do
not notice it at all. Especially because P4 still shows inferences
even though an ontology is deemed inconsistent or the abox is
incoherent. This is unfortunate as many problems reported by P4 (such
as memory errors/heap space issues) are quite fatal and often require
you to reload P4 as a whole.

-Rinke

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: [hidden email]    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

Re: Loading corrupt ontology file + warning triangle

Simon Spero
Also, the warning triangle doesn't seem to have an easy way for the
user to reset it. I usually don't notice it till I see exceptions in
terminal, then I can't stop noticing it :)

I like intellij's way of dealing with this (though I think p4 is
better than GATE at the moment)

Simon

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Rinke Hoekstra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> They just keep on coming ;)
>
> When loading a corrupt ontology file from the welcome screen, P4 does
> not issue a warning and simply redraws the welcome screen. The problem
> only becomes apparent when loading an ontology via the file menu
> (because then the warning triangle lights up).
>
> Actually, I feel the warning triangle is to subtle and many people do
> not notice it at all. Especially because P4 still shows inferences
> even though an ontology is deemed inconsistent or the abox is
> incoherent. This is unfortunate as many problems reported by P4 (such
> as memory errors/heap space issues) are quite fatal and often require
> you to reload P4 as a whole.
>
> -Rinke

> Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Email: [hidden email]    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
> Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
> Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>
> Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
> University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

Re: Loading corrupt ontology file + warning triangle

Nick Drummond
You mean you have been able to crash p4? :)

Indeed, better error handling is on the list.

You can reset it by pressing "send to poor protege developer" button - which doesn't currently send anything - I will change the name :)

Nick