Losing work in Protege-OWL

Nick Drummond
Hi all,

As a reaction to several discussions about losing work, we are concerned
with tracking down any major problems.
I believe, in particular, Ronnie has been having problems with saving
files that end up being empty.

I'd like to do a quick survey of the group.
Who has in recent weeks suffered from this? Any details would be greatly
received as we'd like to be able to reproduce the errors if possible.

One of the reasons I ask is because we've had a case in the office that
is reproducable on one machine, but not on any others. This machine also
seems to have problems with other java applications, so we need to check
if the JVM is the cause.

Although this is a serious issue, it seems that it is only affecting a
very small number of users - part of the reason for this email is to
make sure this is the case. We will obviously try to resolve any
problems as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, the usual advice of maintaining (multiple) backups
applies - but doesn't it always :)

Thanks for your help.

Nick

--

Nick Drummond

Re: Losing work in Protege-OWL

Juan Sequeda
Hi.

I suffered this twice in one week. Thank god that I mad back up copies.

I would work on my ontology, the close it normally. The next day when I would open my existing project, and error would appear and the .owl file would be 0 kb.

On 2/16/06, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/ >

Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
Systems and Computer Engineering Student
Universidad del Valle
Tel: +57 2 516 2612
Fax: +57 2 516 2613
Cel: +57 310 390 1211
Cali, Colombia
Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
ICQ: 323562510
AIM: jfsequeda
MSN: [hidden email]
GTalk: [hidden email]
www.superbacano.com

"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Re: Losing work in Protege-OWL

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Nick,

The following hopefully gives you some information:

1. NOT OK Configuration which had problems with Protege OWL /Project SAVE
and SAVE AS
+ which sometimes created 0kb files and/or tilted
+ displayed ERROR message: Plugin Jambalya Project Plugin does not implement
the after SAVE method - ProjectPluinManager.aftersave
~ Java VM is  JVM 1.5.0_05-b05
~ Protege 3.2 Build 241
~ Jambalaya bundled with Protege 3.2 Build 241
~ Original Protege.lax
Note: the same Java VM worked fine for with pellet-1.3-beta2,
apache-tomcat-5.5.15, java applets
such as
http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~chisel/projects/shrimp/demo/jambalaya_applet.html

2. OK Configuration where function SAVE and SAVE AS seem to work now and
which has not tilted/crashed:
~  same JavaVM, same Protege Build, same OWL projects
~  new Jambalaya, Release: 2.3.4 Build: 6  which isn't a stable release and
just temporary one containing aftersave method
~  updated Protege.lax as follows (settings are for 1Gb memory)
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.initial=100m
lax.nl.java.option.java.heap.size.max=256m
lax.nl.java.option.java.thread.size.initial=256k

Hopefully above helps you !

As you mentioned, maintaining (multiple) backups is wise.

cheers,
Ronnie
legal notice: http://www.icewaves.com/0000/legal_email_waves.html