Mandarin Chinese

Preston P Preston
Hello.

It seems pretty straight forward to follow the pizza.owl example (tutorial), but how does one employ the Mandarin script or code into Protege?

Your instructions would be greatly appreciated.

v/r
Laurie

Re: Mandarin Chinese

Timothy Redmond
On 04/16/2014 05:26 PM, Preston P Preston wrote:
Hello.

It seems pretty straight forward to follow the pizza.owl example (tutorial), but how does one employ the Mandarin script or code into Protege?

I don't entirely know the answer to this question because I don't know/understand how the unicode standard supports Mandarin.  I know more about unicode than Mandarin.  I suspect that the answer is that Mandarin is supported.

Protege supports unicode out of the box.  In many languages this means that if you convince your operating system to generate the characters (which is usually straightforward) from the keyboard then everything just works.  In some cases there is a problem with rendering but the characters still get encoded properly.  At a guess, I am thinking that a phonetic alphabet would be supported (does the guess make sense?).

The following pages may have useful information.  First there is a list of code charts for unicode:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

For many languages these charts will show you how to encode the letters of that language into unicode and back.  I suspect that the charts that you want are the CJK ones (?).  Second, there is a FAQ about Chinese and Japanese:

http://www.unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html

If you look for "unicode mandarin" google shows other resources that I don't know how to evaluate quite yet.

If
  1. the characters that you want to input are included in the unicode specification,
  2. you can figure out how to get the operating system to let you enter the characters

then I think that you are in luck.

If this helps and you can fill in the holes it would be nice if you write back with some additional details.

-Timothy