Mapping with Protege 5.0 Desktop

HardWork
Hi,
i have two different ontologies. Is there a working tool for protege 5.0 or way how to map 2 different ontologies. My approach was to generate a third ontology(master ontology) and important the other 2 ontologies. Only function i found was the compare command, but i need to map. All the tools i tried so far are outdated, not working or are developed for old protege versions see mapping master or prompt. I even installed an old protege version, but it was not accepting my ontology, which is running on protege 5.0 desktop. Is there any method/ tool avaiable to map two ontolgies that is working and is not from the last century ;)

best regards
Richy

Re: Mapping with Protege 5.0 Desktop

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Richy,

What do you mean by “mapping" 2 ontologies? Are you looking to align (e.g., both ontologies might describe the same concepts and you want to consolidate the descriptions) or to merge the ontologies? For the latter you could do as you said, create another ontology that imports those 2. Or use the Merge feature in Protege (Refactor > Merge ontologies…).

Cheers,
Rafael

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 09:03, HardWork <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> i have two different ontologies. Is there a working tool for protege 5.0 or
> way how to map 2 different ontologies. My approach was to generate a third
> ontology(master ontology) and important the other 2 ontologies. Only
> function i found was the compare command, but i need to map. All the tools i
> tried so far are outdated, not working or are developed for old protege
> versions see mapping master or prompt. I even installed an old protege
> version, but it was not accepting my ontology, which is running on protege
> 5.0 desktop. Is there any method/ tool avaiable to map two ontolgies that is
> working and is not from the last century ;)
>
> best regards
> Richy

Re: Mapping with Protege 5.0 Desktop

Obrst, Leo J.
There used to be the Prompt plugin, for ontology mapping/merging: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PROMPT.  But perhaps that is only under Protégé 3? Any such work under Protégé 5?

Also, is the OWLDiff plugin still available under Protégé 5? I see this page: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLDiff. But it seems it's only available at most Protégé 4.1. Is that true?

Thanks,
Leo

Tania Tudorache
Hi Leo,

The OWLDiff plugin is available in Protege 5 via the auto-update mechanism.

File menu -> check for plugins, and select: "OWL Differences"

You may also use other diff libraries that are not integrated in
protege, such as ecco:
https://github.com/rsgoncalves/ecco
The Web UI for ecco: https://github.com/rsgoncalves/ecco-webui

Try it out here:
http://ecco-rsgtools.rhcloud.com/

Tania

On 05/04/2016 01:03 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:

> There used to be the Prompt plugin, for ontology mapping/merging: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/PROMPT.  But perhaps that is only under Protégé 3? Any such work under Protégé 5?
>
> Also, is the OWLDiff plugin still available under Protégé 5? I see this page: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLDiff. But it seems it's only available at most Protégé 4.1. Is that true?
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

Thanks, Tania. The problem is that the auto-update cannot get through our firewall.

I searched for the jar and found this:
http://mavensearch.io/repo/edu.stanford.protege/org.protege.owl.diff/2.0.1

However, it fails to load. Perhaps there is a later version? Maybe the above is incompatible with Protégé 5 beta 21, which is what I am currently using.

From Protégé log:
16:12:13.165 [FelixDispatchQueue] WARN  ProtegeApplication    Plugin: OWL Difference Engine (2.0.1) was not successfully started.  Please see the Protégé log for more details.

Also, there is no additional info in the log file.

Thanks,
Leo

Please use the jar from here:
https://github.com/protegeproject/owl-diff/releases/download/owl-diff-6.0.2/owl-diff-6.0.2.jar

Copy it to the plugins folder. Please make sure you remove any previous
version of the plugin from the plugins folder.

Tania