Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

hajar_zan
Hello everyone
I hope you are doing very well
I would like to know how I could evaluate my ontology that I constructed using Protégé?
Is there any tools to do so ?
NB: I've build two ontologies using protégé, and I had matched them and then merged them in order to generate a global ontology, my question now, is it enough to do a matching using only protégé or should I use a well known framework like Mafra ? the same for the process of merging ?
any kind of advices or information are very welcome
Thank you in advance

--
Hajar Zankadi

Ingénieur d'Etat en Management des Sytèmes d'Information
Diplomée de l'Institut National des Postes et Télécommunications (INPT)

Re: Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

kcason

Hello Hajar:

It depends on what kind of evaluation you want to do. I always run a reasoner on any ontology (in Protégé) to make sure it is consistent. I’m sure there are other types of evaluation.

-Kenny

Re: Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

hajar_zan
Thank you for your reply
I had checked the consistency of the ontology using pellet reasoner
But i ve been always asked if i evaluate my ontology. Is this has to deal with the fact that my ontology should be shared ? ( Correct me if i am wrong)
And what about the mapping and the merging ? Any idea ?
Thank you again

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 4:20 PM Kenny Cason <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Hajar:

It depends on what kind of evaluation you want to do. I always run a reasoner on any ontology (in Protégé) to make sure it is consistent. I’m sure there are other types of evaluation.

-Kenny

Re: Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

kcason

In my experience the merge in Protégé works very well. If you want to do some type of regression testing I recommend creating separate SPARQL queries for each of your individual ontologies. Then, after the merge, try those queries on the merged ontology. In theory you should still get reasonable results.

As for “evaluating” the ontology I strongly suggest you ask questions to clarify what they mean by “evaluation”. Many customers don’t really understand what they are asking, if they do then feel lucky. J

-Kenny

Re: Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

hajar_zan
Ok thank you for clarification.
For the SPARQL queries, should they ontology contains variables ?
Thank you again

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019, 5:07 PM Kenny Cason <[hidden email]> wrote:

In my experience the merge in Protégé works very well. If you want to do some type of regression testing I recommend creating separate SPARQL queries for each of your individual ontologies. Then, after the merge, try those queries on the merged ontology. In theory you should still get reasonable results.

As for “evaluating” the ontology I strongly suggest you ask questions to clarify what they mean by “evaluation”. Many customers don’t really understand what they are asking, if they do then feel lucky. J

-Kenny

Re: Matching, merging and Evaluation of ontology

kcason
I would make the queries as simple as possible, no variables. You want consistent results.

-Kenny

CAUTION: External Email