Merging ontologies semi automatically

jguram
Hi,

I am working on incremental development of ontologies.

1)I have used refactor tab and merge ontologies option for merging two
ontologies in Protege. It just concatenates two source ontologies. It does
not resolve the similar concepts of original ontologies into one concept in
the final merged ontology. Please suggest how can we do this in Protege. I
am using Protege 5.0.

2)I also tried using PROMPT for ontology merging.I downloaded protege 3.5
and 3.2.1 But the installer did not work.

3) Also there is a option of using jena and OWL API but that would require
java.

Please suggest me something either in protege or python.Also I am looking
for a semi automatic way of merging ontology ie i require some human
intervention while merging.

Regards,
Jui

Re: Merging ontologies semi automatically

1)I have used refactor tab and merge ontologies option for merging two
ontologies in Protege. It just concatenates two source ontologies. It does
not resolve the similar concepts of original ontologies into one concept in
the final merged ontology. Please suggest how can we do this in Protege. I
am using Protege 5.0.
of course not, this requires ontology matching which in fact is still an unsolved research topic. A tool for OWL could be LogMap [1] which even provides a web interface [2] . If you just want to use String similarity, do it by yourself, that's trivial.

2)I also tried using PROMPT for ontology merging.I downloaded protege 3.5
and 3.2.1 But the installer did not work.
Both are pretty old, I don't think there will be any support...

3) Also there is a option of using jena and OWL API but that would require
java.
Then, just look for a Python API for OWL or not? Using a well-known search engine shows OWLReady2 [3] as only useful and still maintained API

[1] https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/isg/projects/LogMap/
[2] http://krrwebtools.cs.ox.ac.uk/logmap/
[3] https://pypi.org/project/Owlready2/