Meta annotations: Am I allowed to do this?

Meta annotations: Am I allowed to do this?

Thomas Russ

I want to add some meta-annotations to classes that I create in Protege.

Can I just add a slot with domain :CLASS and range STRING and then
make the additions?

It seems that when I try that, it doesn't quite work.
During the current session, new input boxes appear to allow
specification of the own slot values for these meta-annotations
in the class editor windows.
But the slot values aren't saved, and the domain information on the
slot is also not saved.  So when the file is loaded the next time
the information isn't there anymore.

So, is it because I am trying to add slots to system classes
that this is failing?

Version:  3.1 Build 214,  Mac OS X 10.4.6

I just tried 3.1.1 Build 216 and got the same results.

Re: Meta annotations: Am I allowed to do this?

Tania Tudorache

Thomas,

you cannot edit or add new slots to system classes. You can still model
annotations, by creating your own metaclass: Create a subclass of
":STANDARD-CLASS" and attach to it the String slot. Then change the
metaclass of your existing classes if you want to add annotations to
them. If you want all your future classes to have this String own slot,
you can make your metaclass the default metaclass. You can do this by
right-clicking on the metaclass and select "Set as Default Metaclass" in
the context menu.

Protege has also its own built-in mechanism for storing annotations that
can be attached to any frame (classes, slots, facets, instances). These
annotations are called "notes" in the GUI and you can create/delete/hide
them from the header buttons in the "Class Editor" panel (and the other
panels as well).

Tania