Modeling negation on SWRL rules

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Modeling negation on SWRL rules

Gustavo Felhberg
Hi guys,

is there a way to represent a negation on SWRL rules??

For example:

Activity (?a1) ^ Activity (?a2) ^ subActivity (?a1,?a2) -> *(not)*
subActivity (?a2,?a1)

Is there a way to represent it on SWRL? If not, how should I model it
otherwise?

Thanks a lot.

--

*sds,*

 

*Gustavo Felhberg*
Bacharelando em Ciência da Computação
Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo
skype: felhberg

gtalk/msn: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
protege-owl mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl

Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modeling negation on SWRL rules

samsontu
Gustavo Felhberg wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> is there a way to represent a negation on SWRL rules??

No.

>
> For example:
>
> Activity (?a1) ^ Activity (?a2) ^ subActivity (?a1,?a2) -> *(not)*
> subActivity (?a2,?a1)
>
> Is there a way to represent it on SWRL? If not, how should I model it
> otherwise?

I think you have two options: a more expressive language (e.g.,
first-order logic) and reasoner that support negation, or a language
that support negation-as-failure. I don't know of any work-around in OWL DL.

Samson
--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

_______________________________________________
protege-owl mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl

Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modeling negation on SWRL rules

Alan Ruttenberg-2
I thought you can get unary negation via ComplementOf constructions  
in class expressions available in OWL-DL.

From: http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/#2.1
> Atoms can be of the form C(x), P(x,y), sameAs(x,y) differentFrom
> (x,y), or builtIn(r,x,...) where C is an OWL description or data  
> range, P is an OWL property, r is a built-in relation, x and y are  
> either variables, OWL individuals or OWL data values, as  
> appropriate. In the context of OWL Lite, descriptions in atoms of  
> the form C(x) may be restricted to class names.

This doesn't make possible the negative role assertion you have, but  
it does mean that there is some form of negation available.

Do I have this wrong?

-Alan

On Jun 11, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Samson Tu wrote:

> Gustavo Felhberg wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> is there a way to represent a negation on SWRL rules??
>
> No.
>
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Activity (?a1) ^ Activity (?a2) ^ subActivity (?a1,?a2) -> *(not)*
>> subActivity (?a2,?a1)
>>
>> Is there a way to represent it on SWRL? If not, how should I model it
>> otherwise?
>
> I think you have two options: a more expressive language (e.g.,
> first-order logic) and reasoner that support negation, or a language
> that support negation-as-failure. I don't know of any work-around  
> in OWL DL.
>
> Samson
> --
> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944
>
> _______________________________________________
> protege-owl mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>
> Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/ 
> faq.html#01a.03

_______________________________________________
protege-owl mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl

Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modeling negation on SWRL rules

samsontu

True, there is negation in OWL class expressions. I should be more
precise in my wording. I was referring to negation roles that the
original poster was asking.

Samson

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> I thought you can get unary negation via ComplementOf constructions  
> in class expressions available in OWL-DL.
>
> From: http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/#2.1
>> Atoms can be of the form C(x), P(x,y), sameAs(x,y) differentFrom
>> (x,y), or builtIn(r,x,...) where C is an OWL description or data  
>> range, P is an OWL property, r is a built-in relation, x and y are  
>> either variables, OWL individuals or OWL data values, as  
>> appropriate. In the context of OWL Lite, descriptions in atoms of  
>> the form C(x) may be restricted to class names.
>
> This doesn't make possible the negative role assertion you have, but  
> it does mean that there is some form of negation available.
>
> Do I have this wrong?
>
> -Alan
>
> On Jun 11, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Samson Tu wrote:
>
>> Gustavo Felhberg wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> is there a way to represent a negation on SWRL rules??
>> No.
>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> Activity (?a1) ^ Activity (?a2) ^ subActivity (?a1,?a2) -> *(not)*
>>> subActivity (?a2,?a1)
>>>
>>> Is there a way to represent it on SWRL? If not, how should I model it
>>> otherwise?
>> I think you have two options: a more expressive language (e.g.,
>> first-order logic) and reasoner that support negation, or a language
>> that support negation-as-failure. I don't know of any work-around  
>> in OWL DL.
>>
>> Samson
>> --
>> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
>> Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
>> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
>> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> protege-owl mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>>
>> Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/ 
>> faq.html#01a.03
>
> _______________________________________________
> protege-owl mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>
> Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03 
>


--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

_______________________________________________
protege-owl mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl

Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03