Modeling problem with Disjoint

Hugo Ferreira
Hi,

I am having a modeling problem due to disjointness. Can anyone give me a
hint as how I should solve this? I have the following concepts:

Resource
Role

subClassOf( Manufacturer, Role)
subClassOf( Supplier,     Role)

subClassOf( Agent,        Resource)
subClassOf( Organization, Resource)

Now I have made all these classes disjoint:

disjointWith(Resource,     {Role})
disjointWith(Manufacturer, {Supplier})
disjointWith(Agent,        {Organization})

My problem is that I want to create and instance "C" and asserted that
it is both an "Agent" and a "Manufacturer". But the problem is that an
Agent is a Resource which is (disjoint from) not a Role.

What is my error?

TIA,
Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Modeling problem with Disjoint

Lalit Patil
Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Now I have made all these classes disjoint:
>
> disjointWith(Resource,     {Role})
> disjointWith(Manufacturer, {Supplier})
> disjointWith(Agent,        {Organization})
>

> My problem is that I want to create and instance "C" and asserted that
> it is both an "Agent" and a "Manufacturer". But the problem is that an
> Agent is a Resource which is (disjoint from) not a Role.

If you want that a Resource is disjoint from a Role, then logically, you
cannot they do not have anything in common, i.e., you cannot have
something that is both an Agent and a Manufacturer.

Lalit

Re: Modeling problem with Disjoint

Hugo Ferreira

Please ignore this question.
Apologies for the "noise".

Regards,
HF.

Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a modeling problem due to disjointness. Can anyone give me a
> hint as how I should solve this? I have the following concepts:
>
> Resource
> Role
>
> subClassOf( Manufacturer, Role)
> subClassOf( Supplier,     Role)
>
> subClassOf( Agent,        Resource)
> subClassOf( Organization, Resource)
>
> Now I have made all these classes disjoint:
>
> disjointWith(Resource,     {Role})
> disjointWith(Manufacturer, {Supplier})
> disjointWith(Agent,        {Organization})
>

> My problem is that I want to create and instance "C" and asserted that
> it is both an "Agent" and a "Manufacturer". But the problem is that an
> Agent is a Resource which is (disjoint from) not a Role.
>
> What is my error?
>
> TIA,
> Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Modeling problem with Disjoint

Hugo Ferreira
Hi Lalit,

Lalit Patil wrote:

> Hugo Ferreira wrote:
>
>> Now I have made all these classes disjoint:
>>
>> disjointWith(Resource,     {Role})
>> disjointWith(Manufacturer, {Supplier})
>> disjointWith(Agent,        {Organization})
>>

>> My problem is that I want to create and instance "C" and asserted that
>> it is both an "Agent" and a "Manufacturer". But the problem is that an
>> Agent is a Resource which is (disjoint from) not a Role.
>

> If you want that a Resource is disjoint from a Role, then logically, you
> cannot they do not have anything in common, i.e., you cannot have
> something that is both an Agent and a Manufacturer.

True. This is why I asked to ignore the question. I should have
explained this differently. The problem is that I have a warning
"Missing disjoint on primitive classes on the 'Resource'". The issue
here is that Role and all its sub lasses are to be used in combination
with another set of classes (only some specific subtypes of Resource).

I am confused with the difference between "primitive" and "defined"
classes and don't know how to avoid the above warning.

Going to re-read some material o this 8-(.

Thank you for the help.

Hugo Ferreira.

> Lalit

Re: Modeling problem with Disjoint

Nick Drummond
This particular set of ontology tests are there to check style.
It is considered good practice to "normalise" [1] your ontology so
that you never assert multiple parents

You can turn off this test if you want to keep things simple (and you
have a tiny ontology).

Nick

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/papers/rector-modularisation-
kcap-2003-distrib.pdf

On 5 May 2006, at 15:48, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

> Please ignore this question.
> Apologies for the "noise".
>
> Regards,
> HF.
>

> Hugo Ferreira wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am having a modeling problem due to disjointness. Can anyone
>> give me a hint as how I should solve this? I have the following
>> concepts:
>> Resource
>> Role
>> subClassOf( Manufacturer, Role)
>> subClassOf( Supplier,     Role)
>> subClassOf( Agent,        Resource)
>> subClassOf( Organization, Resource)
>> Now I have made all these classes disjoint:
>> disjointWith(Resource,     {Role})
>> disjointWith(Manufacturer, {Supplier})
>> disjointWith(Agent,        {Organization})
>> My problem is that I want to create and instance "C" and asserted
>> that it is both an "Agent" and a "Manufacturer". But the problem
>> is that an Agent is a Resource which is (disjoint from) not a Role.
>> What is my error?
>> TIA,
>> Hugo Ferreira.

Re: Modeling problem with Disjoint

Hugo Ferreira
Nick,

Nick Drummond wrote:
> This particular set of ontology tests are there to check style.
> It is considered good practice to "normalise" [1] your ontology so  that
> you never assert multiple parents

I see.

> You can turn off this test if you want to keep things simple (and you
> have a tiny ontology).

Prefer to keep it on and see what I am doing wrong.

> Nick
>
> [1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/papers/rector-modularisation-
> kcap-2003-distrib.pdf

Going to read this.