More efficient rendering of OWL modelling and reasoning problem descriptions

More efficient rendering of OWL modelling and reasoning problem descriptions

steschu
Dear all,

many postings to this list have the following format:

1. "I have created an ontology"
    (enumeration of some relevant axioms in the body of the message)
2. I expect a certain resoning result
3. It does not happen :-(
4. HELP !!!

The fixing of such problems by the Protégé community could by made
more effective and efficient by the following procedure:

1. Attach your ontology as an OWL file
2. Formulate your queries as DL queries in Manchester Syntax
3. Specify the reasoners(s) you use and the reasoner settings
4. Describe exactly what you got as query results (or attach a screenshot)
5. Describe what you had expected to get as a result instead.

Best,
Stefan

> In OWL we are told that given
> 1)
> Class X is domain of property P
> a P b (a is the subject of property P and b is the object )
> ------------------------------
> we should infer that a is an instance of X
>
> 2)
> Class Y is range of property P
> a P b (a is the subject of property P and b is the object )
> ------------------------------
> we should infer that b is an instance of Y
>

> 3)
> X subclass Y
> X domain of property P
> ----------------------------------
> we should infer Y domain of P
>
> But in Protégé 4.3 that does not happen if we apply the reasoners
>

> Regards
> Paulo Urbano

Stefan SCHULZ  (Univ.-Prof. Dr. med.)

Institut für Medizinische Informatik,