Move axioms to ontology refactoring

Rinke Hoekstra-4
Hi,

The 'move axioms to ontology' refactoring tool is really useful for
bulk actions, but rather cumbersome when dealing with individual
axioms. For instance, I frequently assert axioms in the wrong ontology
of my imports closure (a bit more visual feedback on which classes/
properties are defined in the currently selected ontology would be
nice). To correct this, I now have to go through all the steps in the
refactoring wizard, whereas a simple context-sensitive 'move axiom...'
option is much more effective.

-Rinke

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: [hidden email]    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

Re: Move axioms to ontology refactoring

Bijan Parsia-3
On Aug 10, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The 'move axioms to ontology' refactoring tool is really useful for
> bulk actions, but rather cumbersome when dealing with individual
> axioms. For instance, I frequently assert axioms in the wrong ontology
> of my imports closure (a bit more visual feedback on which classes/
> properties are defined in the currently selected ontology would be
> nice). To correct this, I now have to go through all the steps in the
> refactoring wizard, whereas a simple context-sensitive 'move axiom...'
> option is much more effective.

+1

Also, it would be nice to have an intermediate version, where you can
cue up axioms for movement as you browse through, then sort/select/
target afterwards.

Similarly, it would really rock the house to have some of these as
*views* instead of moves. For example, it would be interesting to be
able to view *only* the disjoint axioms or the whole ontology
*without* disjoint axioms (and these views to be reasoner sensitive).

So, fitting in with the current interface, one could set up a
deletion/difference, name it, and have a little pop up menu that
toggled between the views.

Cheers,
Bijan.

Re: Move axioms to ontology refactoring

Matthew Horridge
Hi Rinke,

Classes, properties and individuals that have "defining" axioms in the
currently selected ontology are shown in bold.... or this used to be
the case (somehow everything seems bold now).  Also, you should be
able to right click on any axiom (in the standard components) and
select move axiom to e.g.

On 10 Aug 2008, at 11:55, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The 'move axioms to ontology' refactoring tool is really useful for
> bulk actions, but rather cumbersome when dealing with individual
> axioms. For instance, I frequently assert axioms in the wrong ontology
> of my imports closure (a bit more visual feedback on which classes/
> properties are defined in the currently selected ontology would be
> nice). To correct this, I now have to go through all the steps in the
> refactoring wizard, whereas a simple context-sensitive 'move axiom...'
> option is much more effective.
>
> -Rinke

> Drs. Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Email: [hidden email]    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
> Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
> Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke
>
> Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
> University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
> 1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands

pastedGraphic.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: Move axioms to ontology refactoring

Nick Drummond
This is already possible by creating a sandbox ontology (a named set of axioms) and then moving or copying axioms into it as you browse around.
Then, you can select to move all axioms from this sandbox to another (and you get the whole checkbox select/select all interface).
If there is some way we could streamline this further I would be interested in ideas.

Nick