Need help & guidence in building Ontology Application ...

Need help & guidence in building Ontology Application ...

Mir Ali
Hi!

I am 4th year BS student at the department of computer engineering at Eastern Mediterranean University, North Cyprus. I am new to Semantic Web and its application. I am also new to the Ontology. However, I have learnt how to create ontologies using Protege.

I am currently working on developing Mobile Robots as Autonomous Semantic Agents that could be employeed in Cooperatively Discovering a Labyrinth. I need some help and guidence with this. My supervisor does not want me to have the instances within the OWL ontology file but rather in a separate database (MS SQL Server 2005) that conforms with this ontology residing in the OWL file.

The idea is that each agent would send the information about the cell it visits and the path it has taken to a central server. The central server would collect knowledge from individual agents into a common knowl! edge base according to the ontology about the current state of the labyrinth. Then each agent before taking its action to navigate to a cell would access this common knowledge base about the current state of the labyrinth and then would decide to which cell it should navigate.

Each agent would have a Web Service (WS) along with Semantic Robotic Agent Application that consumes this WS to send its course of action and access the current state of the labyrinth to/from the central server.

How would I build this database according to the ontology sitting in  the OWL file? I am planning on using C#.NET in MS VS.NET 2005 environment. I can change to J#.NET as well. Are there any APIs that I can use for programming Ontologies in this MS .NETenvironment?

Please need guidence .... thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely,

M.M.ALI

[protege-owl] Re: Need help & guidence in building Ontology Application ...

Nick Drummond
Mir,

I'm afraid I don't know of any APIs that support the C# or J# .NET
environment. I guess in the Open World of the Semantic Web we've all
chosen to work with Java. There are a couple of C++ libraries for RDF
[1][2] that I've not looked at. Anyone else?

Nick

[1] http://librdf.org/
[2] http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/

--

Nick Drummond

[protege-owl] Re: Need help & guidence in building Ontology Application ...

Michael McDougall
Mir,

Nick pointed out librdf  (http://librdf.org/). It's written in C but
supports many languages, including C# API. I haven't tried the C# API,
but I have used the python API and it's pretty good.

Michael

Nick Drummond wrote:

> Mir,
>
> I'm afraid I don't know of any APIs that support the C# or J# .NET
> environment. I guess in the Open World of the Semantic Web we've all
> chosen to work with Java. There are a couple of C++ libraries for RDF
> [1][2] that I've not looked at. Anyone else?
>
> Nick
>
> [1] http://librdf.org/
> [2] http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/
>
> Mir Ali wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am 4th year BS student at the department of computer engineering at
>> Eastern Mediterranean University, North Cyprus. I am new to Semantic
>> Web and its application. I am also new to the Ontology. However, I
>> have learnt how to create ontologies using Protege.
>>
>> I am currently working on developing Mobile Robots as Autonomous
>> Semantic Agents that could be employeed in Cooperatively Discovering
>> a Labyrinth. I need some help and guidence with this. My supervisor
>> does not want me to have the instances within the OWL ontology file
>> but rather in a separate database (MS SQL Server 2005) that conforms
>> with this ontology residing in the OWL file.
>>
>> The idea is that each agent would send the information about the cell
>> it visits and the path it has taken to a central server. The central
>> server would collect knowledge from individual agents into a common
>> knowl! edge base according to the ontology about the current state of
>> the labyrinth. Then each agent before taking its action to navigate
>> to a cell would access this common knowledge base about the current
>> state of the labyrinth and then would decide to which cell it should
>> navigate.
>>
>> Each agent would have a Web Service (WS) along with Semantic Robotic
>> Agent Application that consumes this WS to send its course of action
>> and access the current state of the labyrinth to/from the central
>> server.
>>
>> How would I build this database according to the ontology sitting in
>> the OWL file? I am planning on using C#.NET in MS VS.NET 2005
>> environment. I can change to J#.NET as well. Are there any APIs that
>> I can use for programming Ontologies in this MS .NETenvironment?
>>
>> Please need guidence .... thanks a lot in advance.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> M.M.ALI

>> Yahoo! Autos
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=38381/%20ylc=X3oDMTEzcGlrdGY5BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDMWF1dG9z/*http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html%20>.
>> Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new and
>> used cars.

[protege-owl] Re: Need help & guidence in building Ontology Application ...

Michael McDougall
Also, Danny Ayers just posted a bunch of SemWeb/C# links on his blog:

http://dannyayers.com/archives/2006/02/02/semweb-library-for-cnet/

Michael