Nested turtle import

Maja Milicic Brandt
Hello,

Sorry if somebody already posted this issue -- I searched in the posts and couldn't find it.
It seems that Protege cannot resolve indirect imports of ontologies in turtle format -- the import (both direct and indirect) simply fails.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

Best regards and thanks for your help!

Maja Milicic Brandt
Siemens AG

Re: Nested turtle import

marksem

I just tested this and you appear to be correct!

I created the attached example files.

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Start protégé
  2. File > Open..
  3. Navigate to and open `myco.ttl`
  4. Ontology Imports tab > Direct Imports > "+"
  5. Select Import an ontology contained in a specific file
  6. Click Continue
  7. Browse to `orgs.ttl` file, click Open
  8. Click Continue
  9. On confirm imports window: OBSERVE that there are no ontologies that will be imported!
  10. Click Finish
  11. OBSERVE that no Direct imports exist.   THIS IS THE BUG.
  12. File > Open…
  13. Click "No" in dialog
  14. Navigate to and open `orgs.ttl`
  15. OBSERVE that Direct Import works in case where there is only 1 level of import (orgs.ttl imports people.ttl)

--

Mark Wallace

Ontologist, Project Manager, Software Architect

SemanticArtsLogo

Sorry if somebody already posted this issue -- I searched in the posts and couldn't find it.

It seems that Protege cannot resolve indirect imports of ontologies in turtle format -- the import (both direct and indirect) simply fails.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue?

Best regards and thanks for your help!

Maja Milicic Brandt

Siemens AG

catalog-v001.xml (490 bytes) Download Attachment
myco.ttl (786 bytes) Download Attachment
orgs.ttl (2K) Download Attachment
people.ttl (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Nested turtle import

marksem

Forgot to mention.  My test was using Protégé 5.2.0 on Windows 10, installed from protege-5.0.0-beta-17-win.zip.

The bundled java info is:

JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Java: version 1.8.0_40, vendor Oracle Corporation

Re: Nested turtle import

Maja Milicic Brandt
Thanks Mark for confirming it.
Btw I am using Protege 5.5 on Windows 7.

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 16:50, Mark Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forgot to mention.  My test was using Protégé 5.2.0 on Windows 10, installed from protege-5.0.0-beta-17-win.zip.

The bundled java info is:

JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.40-b25, mixed mode)

Java: version 1.8.0_40, vendor Oracle Corporation

Re: Nested turtle import

marksem

A workaround seems to exist.

Steps:

  1. Start Protégé
  2. File > Open…  'myco.ttl'
  3. File > Open… 'orgs.ttl'
  4. Click Yes in dialog (to open in the CURRENT WINDOW)
  5. In top selector bar, Switch back to 'myco' ontology
  6. Ontology Imports tab > Direct Imports > "+"
  7. Select "Import an ontology that is already loaded in the workspace"
  8. Select the orgs ontology, Continue, Finish
  9. OBSERVE that the direct import works.

This workaround tested on Protégé 5.2.0 and 5.5.0

So it seems multi-level import works if the Turtle ontologies are already in the workspace, but not if importing from a file.

-Mark