New to Protege - Error when starting

Neil Nelson
I just started up Protege for the first time and installed all the
plugins. Obtained the following red lines.

-----
Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at
http://www.semanticweb.org/nnelson/ontologies/2017/7/untitled-ontology-3

Cannot use
/home/nnelson/.protege/org.exquisite.protege/exquisitedebugger.properties
to save properties

Exception thrown by listener: org.exquisite.protege.EditorKitHook.
Detatching bad listener.
-----

The first line does not appear to be an immediate problem.
The second line could be a bug. I have a /home/nnelson/.Protege
directory but not one with lower-case 'p'.
The third line may or may not be a bug.

Running
Xubuntu 16.04
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac

Re: New to Protege - Error when starting

You don’t need to worry about the first line (that’s a warning rather than an error).  From the other message lines it seems that this issue is caused by the exquisitedebugger plugin.  It’s hard to tell without more information, but it looks like it’s having trouble reading/writing  to

/home/nnelson/.protege/org.exquisite.protege/exquisitedebugger.properties

The third line is related to the above problem.  Basically, the plugin is detached as a listener by Protege because of the issues that it’s caused.

You can try removing this plugin or creating a .protege directory in your home directory to see if this solves the situation for this particular plugin.  The standard .Protege directory has an upper case P btw.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 09:43, Neil Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just started up Protege for the first time and installed all the plugins. Obtained the following red lines.
>
> -----
> Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at http://www.semanticweb.org/nnelson/ontologies/2017/7/untitled-ontology-3
>
> Cannot use /home/nnelson/.protege/org.exquisite.protege/exquisitedebugger.properties to save properties
>
> Exception thrown by listener: org.exquisite.protege.EditorKitHook. Detatching bad listener.
> -----
>
> The first line does not appear to be an immediate problem.
> The second line could be a bug. I have a /home/nnelson/.Protege directory but not one with lower-case 'p'.
> The third line may or may not be a bug.
>
> Running
> Xubuntu 16.04
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac

Re: New to Protege - Error when starting

Biswanath Dutta

Dear Neil,
         Besides the above suggestions, I have one more.

Delete the ".protege" directory from "/home/nnelson/" and then reload protege. See whether it works.

With regards,
Biswanath

Hi,