Non-graphical API to access features

Jon K
Ladies, gentlemen, hello!

I am currently setting Webprotégé up in a project for my company. The goal
is to allow users to edit their application's ontologies, and Webprotégé as
a visual webservice is perfectly fine at this respect.

However, on a developer side, I also need to access some features directly
from the server. My needs would be to automatize tasks like downloading or
uploading ontologies.

The dirty solution would be to crawl the UI with an HTTP tool like Curl, and
it will be a fine solution if it appears I cannot figure it out by another
way. But I was simply wondering if Webprotégé offered some undocumented
feature related to this need, let's say a REST API or any other
non-graphical magical door.

To be precise, I do not need to modify ontologies. This will exclusively be
done in the UI by the users. I need to be able to use the download and
upload features from the server. (:

Thanks for your work, have a nice day!

--
Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Non-graphical API to access features

Hi Jon,

We plan to implement programmatic download and upload functionality in the near future (this has been requested by a few other people actually).

> I am currently setting Webprotégé up in a project for my company. The goal
> is to allow users to edit their application's ontologies, and Webprotégé as
> a visual webservice is perfectly fine at this respect.
>
> However, on a developer side, I also need to access some features directly
> from the server. My needs would be to automatize tasks like downloading or
> uploading ontologies.
>
> The dirty solution would be to crawl the UI with an HTTP tool like Curl, and
> it will be a fine solution if it appears I cannot figure it out by another
> way. But I was simply wondering if Webprotégé offered some undocumented
> feature related to this need, let's say a REST API or any other
> non-graphical magical door.
>
> To be precise, I do not need to modify ontologies. This will exclusively be
> done in the UI by the users. I need to be able to use the download and
> upload features from the server. (:
>
> Thanks for your work, have a nice day!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Non-graphical API to access features

Jon K
Thank you for your quick answer, Matthew. (:

What I did for now is to manually click the download button a first time in
order to get the download URL ("/download" route), from which I'm able to
pick the target ontology's unique ID up. I do not know if this ID is
available somewhere else; is it? Anyway, from that URL, I can configure a
small script with customizable GET parameters such as "revision" or
"format", and it works fine for the moment.

But I'm happy to read from you that such a feature will be implemented soon.
It is indeed a natural need in this kind of webservice, so I will be keeping
an eye on the future releases.

Again, thank you for your work.

Take care!

Jon

--
Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Non-graphical API to access features

Jon K
Hello,

I am indeed running a local installation of WebProtégé, I don't use
webprotege.standford.edu <http://webprotege.standford.edu>  . Should I be
worried?

'nice day,
Jon

--
Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Non-graphical API to access features

Hi Jon,

No need to be worried.  Similar functionality will be available in WP 3.0.0

> On 4 Sep 2017, at 01:13, Jon K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am indeed running a local installation of WebProtégé, I don't use
> webprotege.standford.edu <http://webprotege.standford.edu>  . Should I be
> worried?
>
> 'nice day,
> Jon
>

> --
> Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-Developer-f4659816.html

Re: Non-graphical API to access features

Jon K
Hey,

Do we have an approximative roadmap? (:

'nice day,